Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 13, 1909


Tells of Miraculous Escape While
Fighting Boers in Africa.

Few men have led a more exciting career than Fred Lindsay, Australian bushman, Boer war veteran, big game hunter and expert whip, who is at the Orpheum this week.

Mr. Lindsay also has hunted in Africa. Last fall he gave Mr. Roosevelt pointers on big game hunting, and invited to president to hunt on the Lindsay preserves in Africa.

Mr. Lindsay fought with the British against the Boers. In an engagement on the east coast, according to his own story, he came nearest facing death of the many times in his career,

"My regiment had been ordered up from Beira, a Portuguese town," said he. "This is notorioulsy a death hole, and it proved such for both men and horses. After the relief of Mafeking I went to Rustenberg, getting into action among the hills with about 300 men. We were soon completely surrounded by General Delarey with 1,000 men, and, as the Australians were in a bad position, every horse was shot in less than five minutes.

"My sergeant, two corporals and a private were killed next to me. I escaped miraculously. The spur was shot off my boot. Captain Fitzclarence, of Mafeking fame, rescued us as darkness came.

"The next two days resulted in the hemming in of the whole of the small force of 300 men by Delarey at Elands river, with fourteen field guns and two pompoms, the position taken being that of a small exposed kopje, with a little stream running at the foot.

"For twelve days this gallant little band held out against the whole forces of the Boers, who outnumbered us. At the end of that time we were relieved by General Kitchener with 24,000 men.

"Every drop of water had to be fought for every night at dusk, the carta coming back from the stream with water spurting through bullet holes that the boys plugged up with grass and mud till they reached the summit of the hill.

"Every man worked hard with bayonet, knife and even his finger nails to dig a hole in the stony ground deep enough to afford him shelter from the rain of bullets. the animals were tied in lines and it was no unusual thing for a shell to carry off seven or eight of them at a time. Eventually every one of them was killed.

"A little touch of humor relieved the awful tragedies everywhere about us, and that was when several wagons loaded with cases of champagne, canned soups and other luxuries, presented by Lord Rothschild, got into the danger zone.

"Every time the parcel was hit with a shell it was a good excuse for the boys to jump in and divide it among them, so that many a poor chap whose mouth was swollen for lack of a drop of water got many a good pull at a magnum of sparkling French wine."

Labels: , ,

December 12, 1909



Sore Feet Only Bad Effect of Feat
Performed by Lieut. Vanderbeck
and Dr. Cather in Compliance
With Roosevelt Order.
Navy Lieutenant C. S. Vanderbeck.

Lieutenant C. S. Vanderbeck and Dr. David C. Cather, of the United States navy, have proven themselves pedestrians who defy the weather man when they elect to accomplish a walking feat. For three days, ending at 2:37 o'clock yesterday afternoon, they battled against the most turbulent elements given Kansas City thus far this winter and they came under the wire with a record of having traveled on foot a distance of fifty miles in three days, or an average of three miles an hour, every step taken being in ice, snow or slush. This is considered splendid headway for a pedestrian, especially as the ordinary walker these wintry days slips back a step or two occasionally.


The physical test to which the two navy officers have just subjected themselves was in compliance with an order promulgated by Theodore Roosevelt. The strenuous executive urged several tests, but the one in particular was the walking test, it being decreed that the army and navy officers keep in physical trim by covering a distance of fifty miles in three days as frequently as possible.

Last Thursday the two officers started out. On that day they walked to Independence and back, a distance of 19 1/2 miles, in 5 hours and 57 minutes. Friday 21 miles were covered in 7 hours and 33 minutes, while yesterday the pedestrians went ten miles in 3 hours and 52 minutes.


The actual distance was 50 1/2 miles and the average of three miles per hour was made possible only by the officers wearing steel clamps on their shoes.

A physical examination of the men was made before and after the test and no bad result of his exertion and he says that he was not the least bit fatigued at the end of the journey, although his feet are a little sore.

Labels: , ,

April 6, 1909


Hamilton Holt, Editor and Lecturer,
Predicts United Nations.

The United States of America furnishes the model for the organization of the world into the United Nations for the purpose of securing universal peace, according to Hamilton Holt, managing editor of the New York Independent, who lectured at the Westminster Congregational church last night. His subject was "The Federation of the World."

Turning to the practical solution of the problem he declared the remedy was the substitution of law for war, through the federation of the world and the development of international law. At present he said there was no such thing as international law, but simply the precedents and opinions, which was the work of scholars and not legislators. An organized political body with full power to create will give a genuine and progressive developing law.

Mr. Holt further said that the United Nations already exist through The Hague peace court and the recurring conferences, the germ of the international parliament. As perfection is approached it will be possible to Americanize the world, he declared.

The Hague conference already has given great impetus to the movement for international peace, and has resulted in checking England, Italy and German from making war on Venezuela, the speaker declared. He said that through it England and Russia were prevented from going to war over the Dogger Bank incident, and that President Roosevelt was able to step between Japan and Russia.

Labels: , , , ,

April 3, 1909


Aged Man Said Roosevelt Had Left
Money at the Hall for Him.

An elderly man wearing a beard that reached nearly to his waist, walked into the offices of Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., yesterday. He could not speak English.

Through an interpreter the man's mission was learned.

"He says he is down here after that $300 you have for him," said the interpreter.

"The old man says he received a Marconi telegram this morning from Theodore Roosevelt saying he had left $300 for him with the mayor, and he wants it."

The old man was taken to Colonel Greenman. Later it was learned that he is a wealthy German and lives on Mersington. He was put in charge of relatives who explained that he has been irresponsible of late.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 15, 1909


Are Also Pleased That Taft Is His

"Germans in Germany think that Theodore Roosevelt, former president of the United States, is about 'it,' with a capital 'I,' and that the people of the U. S. A. could not have chosen a better man to fill his place than William H. Taft," said Edward Husch, a lieutenant in the German army, who is in Kansas City.

Lieutenant Husch is touring the United States for pleasure and will visit all of the principal cities.

Labels: , ,

March 4, 1909


Telegraphs Appreciation to President
for Interest in Son's Behalf.

In a personal telegram which was forwarded to Washington yesterday, Rear Admiral Robley D. Evans and wife thanked President Roosevelt for his efforts in behalf of their son, Lieutenant Frank Evans, whose court-martial sentence for misconduct in the Philippines last year was reduced from a loss of 150 numbers and a reprimand to a loss of fifty numbers and a reprimand. The aged parents of the young officer heard of the modification of their son's sentence at the Hotel Baltimore yesterday morning and were overjoyed.

Admiral Evans and his wife departed yesterday afternoon for Joplin, where the admiral lectured last night.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 15, 1908


Remarkable Fantasy of a Man From
Grandin, Mo., With $290.

Joseph DeViera, 56 years old, was picked up at the Union depot yesterday afternoon in a bewildered condition. Sergeant R. P. Lang took him to police headquarters and turned him over to Colonel J. C. Greenman, investigator for the police department.

When searched DeViera had $290 but he acted as if he had been drugged. When Colonel Greenman asked him what was the matter he answered: "Ask J. B. White. He knows." Mr. White, who is connected with the Missouri Lumber Company in the R. A. Long building, was called over the telephone. He said DeViera worked for him at Grandin, Mo. He is an engineer and machinist.

"He was in my office this morning," Mr. White said. "He seemed all right then. When he left he said he would leave for home in the afternoon."

After being locked in a cell in the matron's room DeViera became very violent last night. He yelled with all his lung power that he was "Roosevelt, the mighty hunter." Then he became Napoleon I, and finally said, "I am the Christ, son of the living God, here to reform the world."

"Do you know Adam God, the reformer?" Patrolman Patrick Boyle asked.

"Sure," was the quick reply, "knew him in Africa when he was a baboon. He knows all about the origin of the species, just like I do. We are living too fast for the mighty hunter. I can hit a bear in the left eyebrow at thirty miles."

This sort of rambling talk, yelled in a tone to attract a crowd outside the station, DeViera kept up most all night.

Labels: , , , , , ,

October 11, 1908




After Speaking in Independence He
Is Brought Here in Automobile.

It was a madly driven string of flag-bedecked automobiles that dashed over to Independence yesterday and whisked Candidate William Jennings Bryan to the Parade. Speaches were made at both ends of the trip by the Democratic leaders, adn it all took place within two hours.

It was a regular honk, honk affair, and thirty cars containing at least 150 persons made the trip. On the return, it was a veritable race and several times the pike was blocked with chugging machines, each trying to extricate itself and get to Kansas City first.

Little groups of suburbanites stood at every rural mail box and cheered as the flying autos went by with Mr. Bryan, and then they stayed to cheer the tail of the gasoline propelled comet. It is certain that those who live on the south side of the intercity road will have to clean house today for clouds of dust were stirred up by the wheels of the whizz-wagons. It is also certain that Mr. Bryan, in all the campaign, has never been treated to a more strenuous trip than when he was born over the Jackson county hills by Kansas City's flying automobile squadron.


William P. Borland, congressional aspirant, was holding the crowd of perhaps 2,000 when the Bryan special arrived at Independence. The presidential candidate was led to an auto and taken to the courthouse square, where he was greeted by cheers. He did not speak more than fifteen minutes and when he broke off he told the corwd that he would come back and finish his speech if they would elect him.

"I wish I had the power of Joshua," said Mr. Bryan, "that I might make the sun stand still and talk to you, without encroaching on Kansas City's time. Although I have not the power to control the movements of the sun, I can make the Republicans move.

They have reason to show fright, for the people are now coming to believe that the Democratic party is the one source of relief from present conditions and that through it alone can freedom of speech,, conscience and of the individual to use what he earns, be assured. The Republicans have nurtured predatory wealth which allows the few to prey upon the many. Our creed is that this should be corrected by suffrage, and we plead for an honest election. To get it we must have publicity of campaign contributions that the people may konw the sources of financial influence in carrying on our campaign."


When he finished speaking, a flying wedge formed around Mr. Bryan and broke the way through the crowd to his automobile in the court house yard. It seemed that the chauffeurs hardly took time to crank up, for in a trice the honk-honk procession was off for Kansas City.

"There's another proof that the corporations are agin' us," remarked a Democratic autoist savagely as a long Kansas City Southern train rolled leisurely across the roadway and cut about half of the flying procession from further progress for seven maddening minutes. Nearly twenty cars reluctantly obeyed the stop lever and stood trembling with nervous rage, spitefully repeating all the cuss words in an autombile's vocabulary of profanity. One owner vowed that his French car was chugging, "sacre bleu!" At last the train passed, the gates lifted and just in time to miss being hurdled and the autos dashed forward.


Ten thousand persons must have been awaiting the candidate at the Parade where he made an appeal for more contributions to the campaign fund.

"We have already raised from $160,000 to $180,000 by contributions from the people, in addition to the $40,000 left over from the sum subscribed in Denver to pay for the convention. We have fixed the limit of single contributions at $10,000 but find that we have placed it unnecessarily high. But two or three gifts have been made amounting to more than $1,000. I believe it is better for an administration to owe its election to all the people than to a few favor-seeking corporations. We need at least $100,000 more between now and election day, and Democrats ought to raise it."

"If elected, I promise to call a special session of congress to enact legislation whereby United States Senators shall be elected by a direct vote of the people. I believe there should be a department of labor, with its head in the president's cabinet. The laborers are entitled to it, and I want a representative of labor with who m to consult in the event that I am made president."

After taking a few facetious raps at President Roosevelt on the strength of his proposed African hunting trip, and at Longworth for expressing the wish that his father-in-law may be elected eight years hence, Mr. Bryan stopped, and was whirled through the downtonw streets in his auto to the Hanibal bridge, where he deaprted for St. Joseph.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 10, 1908



Made Money Farming and Turned
the Leisure of Age to a Useful
End -- Had a Note From

William McKinzie, a farmer, 84 years old, died yesterday at his home a half mile ast of Piper in Wyandotte county, Kas. Since he moved to that vicinity in the fall of 1865 he was well known in Republican local politics and it is said that up to 1900 he never missed a county convention of his party.

In his early life McKinzie was a cabinet maker in New York state. When he moved to Kansas at the close of the civil war he found the Western market did not justify this occupation so he permanently gave it up. A remnant of his first profession came back to him later when he had acquired considerable wealth from the soil, and in his odd moments he would sit for hours at a time in some sunny place carving out handsome canes with his pocketknife.

At the time of his death there were 350 unfinished canes in the woodshed back of the old fashioned residence. He has given as many more to inmates of the Old Soldiers' Home. Some of the products of McKinzie's jackknife are very beautiful and every president of the United States from Grant's time to the present has received one and acknowledged the gift in his own handwriting.

One of McKinzie's fancies was never to give away a can unless there was actual need of one on the part of the recipient. At some time during their administrations all the presidents had something the matter with their legs, until Roosevelt was sworn in. Grant often suffered with a bad knee; Garfield, Arthur and the rest down the line suffered, occasionally from rheumatism and kindred ailments. McKinley sometimes had a lame back and received a cane with sawed-off knots along its trunk bearing letters spelling the words "Protection" and "Reciprocity." When it came to Roosevelt there was a decided hitch, for the president absolutely refused to have anything the matter with him.,

Finally, two years ago, word came to the aged canemaker that the president was suffereing from a sprain received from the fall of his favorite horse, and his chance had come. The article, long preserved for this occasion, was taken out of its buckskin covering, dusted and hurried through to the White House.

The little note bearing the signature of the nation's chief in this instance is the proudest possession of the McKinzie household.

McKinzie often had said since the Republican national convention that he hoped to live to give a cane to Taft. During the last few days of sickness he often joked over the prospects of not living to make the presentation.

He is survived by Frank, Charles and Henry McKinzie, sons, and Mrs. Mary Hendricks, his daughter. All live near Kansas City.

Funeral services will be held at the home at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon. Burial will be under the auspices of the G. A. R. and the Masonic lodge in Maywood cemetery. The funeral will probably be one of the largest ever held in that part of Wyandotte county, as the friends of the old farmer are said to be numbered by teh party roll call. A large delegation of acquaintances will leave Kansas City Sunday morning to attend the services.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 6, 1907


3,000 Listen to Democratic Speakers.

Enthusiasm reached a high state at the opening of the Democratic campaign in Kansas City last night. Four thousand people crowded into the Armory at Fourteenth street and Michgan avenue to hear the issues and principles of the Democratic platform discussed by Ward Headley of Kentucky; Frank S. Monnett of Ohio, and James A. Reed and William P. Borland.

William T. Kemper acted as chairman of the meeting. At 8 o'clock the speakers had not arrived and he introduced William P. Borland.

"The Democratic party is the only party which is running its own candidate and he is running against two men," he said. "Taft is the proxy of Roosevelt; Higsen the proxy of Hearst. The antics of the Republican campaign would be good food for the humorists."

Ward Headley of Kentucky made good with the crowd. He is an interesting talker. He articulates well, speaks fluently and mixed just enough humor with his talk to keep the closest attention of his audience.

"There is only one great issue in this campaign," he began. "That is whether the Americans shall control their government or whether the trusts and corporations shall govern it. The Democracy is united this year for the first time in many campaigns. It isn't harmony from inactivity, but it is the desire to again gain control of our government."

Frank S. Monnett of Ohio, who led the oil fight in that state on the Standard Oil company, used many figures in his speech. He confined himself mostly to the various monopolies with which he had dealt and produced figures to show the falsity of Taft's statements in Kansas last week when Taft said that the price of corn was higher during Republican administrations than during the Democratic administrations.

The speech of James A. Reed brought cheer after cheer. The crowd had listened to other orators for two hours, but they were as eager to hear the Kansas City man as they were the first speaker. His speech was confined mostly to state politics. He also took a gentle jab at Taft's religious zeal.

"So Taft came to town Sunday and went to church three times?" he asked, beginning his talk. "And to think that he never was in a church in his life until he entered this campaign. They told us he was Unitarian and that he believed in neither hell nor heaven. Why, he hadn't been in town fifteen minutes until he began to feel the holy thrill of religion. Who knew our atmosphere affected strangers so queerly?

"Then he went to church looking for salvation. It was only the religious fervor and zeal which took him there. Nothing else could have induced him to go. Once wasn't enough so he tried it twice more in the same day. Then, in order that he could be baptized in every kind of religion he went to the church of the colored brethren to be anointed therein. Let us rise in prayer with Mr. Taft."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

September 6, 1908



He's Home Again, With the Story of
His Adventures All Written
Out, Just Like Mr. Roose-
velt -- Read It.
Sam Lieberman, the Wandering Office Boy
The Wandering Office Boy.

Once there was an office boy, unlike the general run of office boys in that he sometimes had an original idea. He worked for The Journal, until he got one of the ideas. That was to the effect that he was destined to be a great explorer and write things like Frank Carpenter and Theodore Roosevelt -- or, at least, like Mr. Roosevelt's going to write.

So it was a traveling bug that bit Sam one sunny spring day. He said nothing, but pocketed his week's pay and hit the grit. He came back a few days ago with the story of his adventures all written out, just as Mr. Carpenter or Mr. Roosevelt would have done under similar conditions. Entering the local room, where a tardy reporter sat welting the daylights out of his typewriter, Sam said: "Well, the wandering Jew's back."

Sam is the son of Rabbi Max Lieberman of this city. He is 13 years old and small for his years but wise, far, oh, far indeed, beyond them. This is his story, just as he turned it it:

Just as soon as the weather got warm last spring, I got the fever that thousands of other boys get, and that was to "Run away." I had no reason on earth to go, but as I said, the fever was in me and I wanted to go. I wanted to get out and live on my own hook. About June 1st I picked up a magazine containing a story how a man beat it on a blind baggage (a small platform between the engine and baggage car), and I got the facts down pat, and by June the 3rd I was on the blind of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul bound for Chicago.

The engineer saw me get on but did not say anything. When the train would come up to a station I would duck down on the step on the opposite side of the station and as the steps were high and I was small I had no trouble at stopping places the ducking down business lasted until I got to Chillicothe, Mo. There was a bunch of young farm boys standing on the side I was ducking down and they saw me. When the train stopped they ran up to me and wanted to know where I was going and where I come from and ect. When the train was about to start the engineer asked them to hold me until the train started. The boys held me and when the train was going pretty fast they let go of me. The Idea of being stuck in a little town lent wings to my feet and I hiked. I never ran so fast in my life; as the train struck the upgrade it slowed up and I caught the second blind. At the next stopping place I got on the first blind. The engineer then turned a hose on me but I braced against the tender where 7,000 gallons or the capacity is printed and the water passed over me. Towards evening I was so hungry and thirsty that I thought I would die. After a while I was so thirsty that I thought I would ask the engineer for a drink. I thought the worst he could do was to put me off and I was desperate so I clumb over the tender into the cab. When the engineer saw me he said: "Kid I admire your nerve, but you will have to get out of the cab." I asked him for a drink and the fireman gave me one from a kerosene can; then I went back to the blind.

About ten p.m. I arrived in Davenport where I got my first chance to get something to eat. As $2 wasn't much I knew I would need every cent of it before long. I laid down in a corner near the depot and waited for the South West Limited which arrives in Davenport about 3 a. m. I caught it and 8 o'clock I was in Chicago. I about froze to death but I didn't and that's one satisfaction. I got off at Western Ave and took a car to State street where I bought some papers and began hustling. I earned a dollar and fifty cents all day. It was hard earned money, too, since I had to lick a kid who claimed that I was on his corner. After I wiped him he got another feller and both jumped in and knocked daylight out of me. Gee! I never got a worst licking in my life.

That evening I took a boat for Milwaukee where I arrived next morning. I struck a job and worked a week. I would have worked longer but the factory inspector said I was too young to work. I got 5 dollars which went for board and some clothes.

I still had $3.50 left so I bought a ticket to Ludington, Michigan on the Pere Marquette Steamship Co. The ticket cost me half a dollar which left me three plunks. Next morning I was in Ludington and I was about dead broke before I struck a job. The job was to clean lanterns at 2 1/2 cents a piece. I made about a dollar and decided to quit the place for a bigger city. That night I was on a freight bound for Saginaw Mich, where I arrived 11 a. m. next morning cold and hungry.


I got lunch and started out to hunt for a job. I met a kid who had two shine boxes and rented one and I went down to the depot and as I could lick every boot black around I run them all away and soon I had quite a bunch of shines and as shines are ten cents in Saginaw I made about $2.00 the first day. When I left Saginaw a couple of days after I had a ticket to Detroit and 5 dollars in real money. I arrived at Detroit around 3 A. M. and I ate breakfast in the depot and struck out for a job. After a while I decided to carry grips and just my luck a bunch of girls from Ann Harbour wanted somebody to guide them around so I got the job. I didn't know a thing about Detroit but when they were looking in windows I would ask the cop and he would tell me where to go. I piloted the girls around all morning and finally I took them back to the depot where I left them with six bits (75 cents) to the good. I got odd jobs such as carry grips and ect until evening then I went to Bell Isle park. The next day I carried grips and sold papers and made about $1.50. I bought a ticket for Buffalo which cost $1.75 by boat and next morning I was in Buffalo with about $4 in my pocket. I took a car for Niagara Falls but came back in an hour. I stayed in Buffalo about 2 days and then went to Crystal Beach, Ont., where I struck a job and held it all the while.


When the campers of Crystal Beach heard that I come from Kansas City they all wanted to talk to me and I soon became quite popular, with the girls especially. I told them all about the ranch and how the Mexicans rustle and how they hold up teams and everything I could pick up from some old Wild West stories. I told them all about things which happened about 25 years ago. Talk about stringing. Why I told them everything I could make up and they swallowed it all.

The 5th day I was there I received an invitation for an old fashioned Corn Roast, which consists of all the Kisses you want and corn on the cob as dessert. Some Kenucks (Canadians) say that it is all the corn you want and Kisses as a dessert. Gee, I got so many Kisses I thought opposite.

Talk about Canadian girls being timid.


When a kid chooses a girl in a pillow game all the girls holler, "Don't forget me!" I like to see any K. C. girl be so anxious for a kiss.

Say how about fishing? Gee! Bass is so plentiful there that all you have to do is drop your line and play them. I caught a fish 2 feet long.


Say Kansas Cityans you ought to rejoice. Talk about blue laws in Canada! Hully Gee! You can't breathe on Sunday without the cops looking at you as if they were going to pinch you for swiping $6,000. Judge Wallace ought to be there. I bet two bit to a cent that he would find the laws blue enough there to suit him. Gosh! If Kansas City had the same blue laws 95 per cent of the people would drown themselves in the Missouri while the rest except Judge Wallace in the Blue. Behold Judge Wallace you could then put your blue laws in effect as far as you want.

Say if Judge Wallace wants a job where he can put his blue laws in effect all he has to do is let me know. I know the head guy of Bertle township and I will use my influence and I might get him a job.

I revisited the falls again with a bunch of boys and took in the cave of the winds which is a dollar (the cost of rubber outfit) thrown to the bass by we suckers. All you do is walk down a spiral set of stairs about 170 feet then walk out on a little bridge about a foot and a half wide and view the falls. It certainly is a grand sight and then the bridge twists and turns and finally you walk under the falls where you try to look through the water, then you walk out on land and then comes the job. You are all soaked and the oil skins weigh a ton, then you got to walk up those stairs. Hully Gee! You are just ready to croak when you reach the top. That evening I took the train Home in a chair car with a real ticket, and if there is any difference between a box car and a chair car it's about 100,000,000,000 per cent.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

September 6, 1908


In His Behalf 20,000 Kansas City
-ans Once Petitioned President.
Was Pardoned From Prison.

It was 9 o'clock sharp last night when Charles Ryan, inspector of detectives, called in his men -- twenty of them -- and ordered them to go out and look for poker games, which the late grand jurors charged a week ago were operating unmolested by the police.

The twenty men went. It was nearly 11 o'clock before they had any luck. Then what they ran upon was really startling. Detectives Robert Phelna, Eugene Sullivan, J. L. Ghent and "Lum" Wilson made their way to 722 East Twelfth street. As they neared the number they said a "lookout" ran up the steps and gave the alarm. Being armed with a warrant the two doors were broken open and Detective Ghent was especially surprised.

There in the midst of six other men stood Charles W. Anderson, alias William January, for whom only a short year ago 20,000 people of this city and vicinity had petitioned President Roosevelt for his release from the federal prison at Leavenworth, Kas. And the petition gained his release, too. That was on July 19, 1907.

Last year, Benjamin T. Barnes, 2345 Southwest boulevard, a harnessmaker and former convict, wrote to Warden William McClaughry that William January, who had escaped from the prison nine years before, was living here under the name of Charles W. Anderson. The arrest followed, and when it was found that January -- for that was his name then -- had been living an exemplary life during his nine years of freedom, and that he had married and had a sweet 3-year-old baby girl, the whole of Western Missouri and Eastern Kansas was aroused. His arrest took place on April 20, 1907, and he was taken to prison the next day. When President Roosevelt received the petition containing 20,000 names, with the information that as many more could easily be added, he set July 19 as the day when William January, then living at 1117 Holmes street, should be free.

When January came out he applied to the courts and soon had his name changed to Charles W. Anderson, as that was the name he assumed when he escaped from prison. Every hand in Kansas City was outstretched to aid the long-suffering man just out of stripes. He chose to open a restaurant on East Twelfth street, however, after being interested in a pool hall.

Last night when the detectives followed the lookout to the second floor, after breaking in two doors they got Anderson and six other men. They also got a round table, cards and chips. At the station no one would admit that he was gamekeeper. Sergeant Patrick Clark said: "Then I will hold you all under $51 cash bond each until I find out who was running this place."

The men were lined up to give their names. Anderson gave the name of John W. Smith just as a young player in answer to a question said, "Me? Oh, I got my chips from Anderson there."

Anderson was then informed that his bond would be $51 and the others $16 each. The former gave his at once and, after a short talk, with the men, who were consigned to the holdover, made his exit.

The game at 722 East Twelfth street was the only one bothered by the police last night. It is said that there are others.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 18, 1908





Newspaper Woman, With Assistance
of Press Gang, Breaks All Rec-
ords of Continuous Cheer-
ing at Convention.
Miss Maude Neal, Kansas City girl turned Chicago reporter

CHICAGO, June 17. -- (Special.) Miss Maud Neal, a Kansas City girl, started the stampede in the national convention today which almost resulted in the nomination of President Roosevelt for a third term right on the spot. It was one of those incidents which occasionally come at the psychological moment. The delegates were thrown off their feet and pandemonium reigned for three-quarters of an hour. The Taft managers were greatly worried.

Miss Neal and her big Teddy bear did it. During the demonstration following Charmian Lodge's statement that "the president is the best abused and most popular man in America today," Miss Neal put her wits to work She was an ardent supporter of the president. "Why didn't some one bring a Roosevelt banner, or a Roosevelt picture onto the scene to enliven things still more?" she said.


Not a picture or a banner of the president showed up. So Miss Neal decided to go out and get one. She left her seat in the press section, where she was working as a reporter for a Chicago paper, went across the street from the Coliseum, and looked in vain for a Roosevelt picture. Finally she spied a big Teddy bear sitting in a chair in a plumber's shop. That was just what she wanted. She stepped inside and took possession of the big animal. A clerk came forward and remonstrated, so Miss Neal emptied her pocketbook into his hand, a total of $10, and took the bear.

Gleefully she started on a run for the Coliseum, though she could not make fast progress, for the bear was almost as large as herself. Miss Neal is 5 feet 3 inches tall, and the bear measured five feet from tip to tip. The police guards and doorkeepers swung the gates wide, and did not ask for her ticket or credentials. They hurried her into the runway into the hall. Again the guards gave her free passage.

No sooner had she gone up a short incline than a dozen eager hands grabbed for the bear. But she clung to the big animal and made her way to her seat, close to the speaker's stand. At that particular moment the Roosevelt ovation, which had been on for twenty minutes, was subsiding, and Chairman Lodge had arisen to resume his speech, but just as he began the first sentence she tossed the bear among the newspaper men and the stampede started.


In a moment a number of correspondents were aiding and abetting Miss Neal in her scheme. They held the bear up in the air. Willing hands made the animal's head nod in approval of the wild yells. Its ponderous paws led the cheering. Its big legs engaged in a fantastic dance. The effect was electrical. And in another moment the big animal was hurled out into the air, off the platform and shot with flaring arms and legs into the Wisconsin delegation.

Tonight the plumber presented an additional bill of $15 to the owner of the newspaper whose girl reporter had appropriated the bear. The plumber claimed it was worth $25. The editor gladly paid the balance due.

Miss Neal is the daughter of Assistant District Attorney Neal of Kansas City. She left Kansas City four years ago. The first two years she spent in New York in school and newspaper work. She came to Chicago two years ago to work on Hearst's paper but recently changed to the Inter Ocean. She is regarded as one of the brightest newspaper women in Chicago.

Labels: , , , ,

April 7, 1908


Beardsley and Warner the Speakers
at Closing Republican Party.

Republicans held the closing general rally of the campaign in Convention hall last night. Speeches were made by Senator William Warner, Mayor Beardsley and R. R. Brewster.

The big hall was crowded to overflowing with men, women and children, many bringing their entire families to hear the speeches of the workers for the Republican administration. Repeated applause from a vicinity within close reach of the platform where the speakers stood followed the attacks on the different corporations, James A. Reed and Mr. Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr. Bitter attacks were made upon the Metropolitan Street Railway Company, and pictures of cities were shown where the street car fare is less than 5 cents, in one of which, at least, the fare was reduced by a public utilities commission.

Another series of pictures of the different Republican candidates for election today and of different improvements in the city made under the Beardsley administration was shown.

Senator William Warner acted as chairman of the meeting and delivered the opening address. The first part of his speech was pertaining to national and state affairs, in which he upheld the policies of President Roosevelt, and added that William H. Taft intends to carry out those policies. He gave a short talk on the railroad corporations as they are conducted today and as they were before President Roosevelt's administration.


He soon turned, however, to the election today in Kansas City, and in a brief address commended every candidate and attacked the Metropolitan street railway, Mr. Reed and Mr. Crittenden. One of his principal points was that a utilities commission will give the city a chance to govern corporations, and not the corporations to govern the city. "Corporations should not govern the city and dictate to the people how much they shall pay for their service, or how city affairs shall be operated," said Senator Warner. "I believe in a public utilities commission. The people should control and regulate the electric light plant and the Metropolitan street railway. We do not know whether these corporations and others are conducted properly, we do not know whether they are charging us unreasonable prices for service. A public utilities commission would see the books of these corporations and determine for the citizens if the corporations are meeting the public's interest.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

February 10, 1908


Kansas City Men Who Attended Har-
vard Know Nothing of Prowess.

If President Roosevelt was champion lightweight boxer when at Harvard, there are no Harvard men in Kansas City who knew about it at the time. Hugh Ward, Dr. J. W. Perkins, Joseph Meinrath and six other men live here who were at Harvard with the president. None of those who could be located yesterday ever heard of him being a prize boxer. L. A. Laughlin missed the president at Harvard, but was with him at Columbia Law school. He never heard about the president beign handy with his fists.

"I think there has been some nature of faking," said a Harvard man yesterday. "If the president really wrote that biography of himself, as the Journal of Saturday says he did, then I will have to admit that I have forgotten some things I learned while studying at Harvard. I was something of an athelet myself. I do not believe I missed a single fight while there. I never saw Roosevelt strip but twice, and once was when a man named Hanks put him out. I am willing to bet right now he never was anywhere near a lightweight champion fighter."

Labels: , ,

December 27, 1907


His Candidacy Formally Announced
by I. B. Kimbrell.

In a rally held at Republican Headquarters, 1111 Grand avenue, last night, Prosecuting Attorney Isaac B. Kimbrell, one of the principal speakers, formerly announced the candidacy of Attorney General Herbert S. Hadley for the gubernatorial nomination of Missouri in the campaign of 1908. Mr. Hadley asked before the meeting that his name not be mentioned at this time for the office, but Mr. Kimbrell made the announcement and asked for the support of the party in Kansas City for Hadley for that office.

The principal speech of the evening was made by Attorney General Hadley, in which he heartily indorsed William J. Campbell for sheriff, and made a strong appeal for his election today. He also indorsed William H. Taft for the nomination for president in the election of 1908. He stated that in the national campaign the principles and policies of Theodore Roosevelt must be carried out, and that the Republicans can not do a greater wrong than to turn against his policies. He said the approaching general election is the most important one for the nation's welfare that has been held in many years.

Labels: , , , ,

Special Report -- C. W. ANDERSON




In Washington It Is Believed Pardon
Will Be Granted -- Barnes, the In-
former, Hints Darkly of
Sensations Yet to

A dispatch from Washington last night said that President Roosevelt has not yet received the application for pardon for Charles W. Anderson. However, he discussed the matter yesterday with people who are interested in the case, and while he will not state in advance what action he will take when the application arrives, it is the opinion of his advisers that he will readily grant a pardon.

An Associated Press dispatch from Washington says an application for the pardon of Anderson has reached Washington, and has been referred to the department of justice for examination into the records and for recommendation.

A petition expected to bear at least 20,000 names of people in Kansas City and vicinity, who sanction the release of Charles Anderson from the United States penitentiary at Leavenworth, will be forwarded to Senator William Warner this evening in turn to be submitted to the president. On the 600 or more petitions that have been circulated, more than 15,000 names had been recorded yesterday, and hundreds of letters were received by the legal committee and by those at whose places of business petitions were placed. These letters were from out-of-town people as well as persons living in the city, and all expressed the same sentiment regarding the man's release. Some were from close friends of Anderson and his family, and spoke of the man's good character, his honesty and devotion to his family, and especially his sobriety. Men who had known Anderson in a business way attested convincingly to his honesty , and neighbors to his family devotion.

All day long at places where there were petitions people went to sign. Along Twelfth street, in the neighborhood where Anderson lived and where he had been in business, his arrest and prospective release was the principal topic of discussion. Up to late in the evening people appeared singly and in groups to sign the petition at Phipps & Durbow's grocery store, at Twelfth and Holmes streets. Some of them came from their homes as far as two miles away, and one man, 72 years old, drove from Independence yesterday afternoon to enter his name upon the list of signers.

On a petition circulated yesterday among the lawyers of the city by James Garner, and attorney in the New York Life building, the names of a hundred or so of Kansas City's leading members of the legal profession were signed. Among all of the attorneys approached on the matter by Mr. Garner, but two refused to sign.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 22, 1907



Persons Who Did Not Know Ander-
son Are Interested in the Move-
ment to Secure His Release--
Only the President Can
Free Kansas Cityan.

Today a thousand men, representing every walk of life in Kansas City, will begin working to secure a pardon for Charles W. Anderson, who escaped from the penitentiary at Leavenworth nine years ago with but eight months of five years sentence before him for robbing a post office in Oklahoma, and was arrested here Saturday and taken back to the prison.

A mass meeting of business men who knew Anderson will be held tonight at 702 East Twelfth street with a view of securing a pardon. Petitions were circulated yesterday and one of them had forty signers within an hour after it had been drawn. Last night seventy-five names were on the list.

This petition was drawn in behalf of Anderson to be presented in connection with a petition which will be sent to President Roosevelt. Other similar petitions, to be attached to an original paper which will be presented at the meeting tonight, have been scattered about the city and the signers ask no questions. Many of them know Anderson personally and describe him as a hale fellow well met, honest and trustworthy.

Congressman E. C. Ellis has been invited to attend the meeting tonight and it is expected that he will be there. When asked last night what he would do for the prisoner, he said:
I have not investigated the matter as much as I should like to, but will do so tomorrow and if he is as worthy as he is said to be I will present the petition for his pardon to President Roosevelt. If the reports of him are true I will be very glad to take the matter up."
The petitions started yesterday will be given active circulation today. One of them was placed in Brooks' restaurant, 210 East Twelfth street, another at Clifford's cigar store at Twelfth street and Grand avenue, and a third, which received more signatures than the rest, in Lorber's cigar store, 317 East Twelfth street.
Lorber, who has known him in a business way for several years, says that Anderson has been prompt in his payments and that he did not hesitate at any time to trust "Charlie" for $75 or $100. In fact, when Anderson wanted to buy his partner's interest in February, a year ago, Lorber advanced the necessary money to him on Anderson's mere statement he did not have enough money to make the purchase.
"Did he pay it back?" exclaimed Lorber, almost in astonishment that the question should be asked, "Well, I should say he did. And quickly, too. And more than that, all of his payments on bills of goods were made promptly. No one questioned the honestly of Anderson."
All of his friends know him as Anderson. "Charlie," they call him, and in the familiarity of the name itself they express sentiment of men who, when they know a man, know him well.
Anderson first went into business for himself at 720 East Twelfth street, April 4, 1905, in partnership with a man named Lowry, purchasing the latter's interest in the restaurant over a year ago. After running the business alone for a year and two days, he sold out, and started to look for a better location. He was always cheerful, it is said, and everyone who refers to his home life speaks of his affection for his little girl, 3 years old, and his wife.
"Is it justice to take a man who is working industriously and trying hard to succeed, back to prison for a crime committed twelve years ago?" asked a friend of his last night on a street corner where the arrest of Anderson for a forgotten robbery was the chief subject of discussion.
A number of citizens called on Charles Riehl, assistant prosecuting attorney, last night to have him draw up the petition which will be presented to President Roosevelt. It is doubtful if Kansas City ever took as much interest in the release of a prisoner as has been shown in seeking the liberation of Anderson. Not only those who knew him but men who never heard his name before are actively working for his release.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

April 1, 1907


Will Create Brigade Posts at Riley
and Leavenworth

WASHINGTON, March 31 -- (Special.) President Roosevelt will soon issue the order, to take affect in July, creating brigade posts at Fort Leavenworth, Fort Riley and possibly Fort Sill.

Each brigade post will be under command of a brigadier general and be brigaded for instructions and maneuvers.

Labels: , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory