Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 8, 1910


Scandinavians Flock to the
Standard of Gus Pearson.

"A Swede is in peril!"

That was both the watchword and the reason assigned for the meeting last night at the Stockholm hotel at 1024 West Seventeenth street, where about 300 Second ward Republicans indorsed Gus Pearson for another term as city comptroller.

The Scandinavian settlement in Kansas City has had two city comptrollers, and each has made good with his party, and the present comptroller, Gus Pearson, made good with the Democratic administration, too, but they have never had other representation, and now they are out for a member in the upper house of the council.

Last night these Second warders met to indorse Mr. Pearson and have a lunch, and they listened to Fred Coon and Judge Harry G. Kyle while they were awaiting the adjournment of the city council and a chance to tell Gus Pearson that they are for him.

Charley Lawson, who was chairman of the meeting, sounded the watchword: "A Swede is in peril."

Lawson and other speakers told how Pearson is to be rolled at the Republican convention February 25 because, as they declared, he has incurred the enmity of party bosses.

It appeared to be the sense of the meeting that Pearson is to be "rolled" by the bosses because he remained under a Democratic administration and the speakers declared that these same bosses offered to go into the courts to protect their places in the service when the Democrats ousted all of them but Pearson and kept Pearson merely because he is competent.


Judge Harry G. Kyle, who expects to carry the Second ward with the aid of Mr. Pearson's friends there, said in part:

"The freeholders, in drafting the new city charter, and in creating the hospital and health commission department of municipal government brought the city government close to the needs and wants of the people. This department will have control of the city hospital and all institutions now or hereafter owned or controlled by the city for the care of sick and injured persons; for the confinement, support and maintenance of insane persons.

"This commission will have a competent man to act as superintendent of the hospitals and other kindred institutions. It will also have a competent health commissioner to direct inspection of every part of the city, with a view to maintaining good sanitary conditions; also to inspect dairies, meat, food stuffs and water supplies for drinking purposes and to enforce all pure food laws."

Labels: , , , ,

September 14, 1909


Creditable Exhibition in Spite of J.
Pluvius's Interruption.

Buffalo Bill's Wild West and Pawnee Bill's Far East, combined, gave an exhibition before a large and appreciative crowd at the circus grounds, 17th and Indiana avenue, yesterday afternoon. It has been nearly a decade since Buffalo Bill has been seen in Kansas city, and the return of the most picturesque of the few remaining frontiersmen was signaled by an outpouring of those who have personal recollections of the old-time scout, and those to whom he has seemed more a figment of fancy than a reality.

It was a good show that the two Bills brought to Kansas City yesterday. The meeting of the East and the West with their varied manners, customs and contrasts, on a field of daring, afforded opportunity for speculative reflection by the studious, and was an interesting spectacle for the less serious minded. An act not catalogued was the appearance of J. Pluvius, monoplaning above the arena with his large-sized sprinkling pot spouting unpleasant reminders to a greater portion of the crowd of umbrellas left at home. From the grand review, with which the show opens, to the final salute of the assembled company, every act is well worth seeing. The rough riders of all nations, the pony express, the emigrant train, were all interesting features of the show. "A Dream of the Orient" was presented in spectacular form by Arabs, Japanese, Singhalese, Cossacks, Dahomeans, Hindues and Australian boomerang throwers.

"The Battle of Summit Springs," in which were shown scouts, soldiers, plainsmen and Sioux and Cheyenne Indians, was of a hair-curling variety. The attack of the Indians was as spectacular as could be desired. Other interesting features on the program were Devlin's Zouaves, fancy shooting by Buffalo Bill, a game of football on horseback, a great train holdup, shooting by Johnny Baker, U. S. Cavalry drill, cowboy fun and Russian Cossacks.

The worst punishment of last night's performance fell upon the acrobats. The feature of their act is that they tumble on the ground without the use of mats or rugs. As they lined up twenty strong towards the north end of the rectangle the audience did not at first realize how much more difficult their evolutions would be in a foot of mud and in drenching rain. They were dressed in red tights with blue doublets, the colors showing up brighter because of the drenching.

After the preliminary stunts were over and their uniforms were still unsullied, the crowd began to believe there would be no mishap. Then the fun began. Someone's foot slipped in an aerial flip flop. Instantly he was immersed and the crowd laughed. Other and similar accidents followed as the teams increased the complexity of their work.

"This crowd is a revelation in the circus business," said Hugh Thomas, head of the police department of the show last night. "It is a great big good natured bunch that doesn't care for the weather or anything else. That's the English as well as the American spirit, though. The idea that predominates in an Anglo-Saxon aggregation is that it does not matter so much how well you do, as how well you do under the circumstances."

Labels: , , ,

July 6, 1909


Grandpa Brueckmann's July 4th
Antics Amused the Children.

The German Baptist Sunday school, Seventeenth and Tracy, held its annual basket picnic at Budd park yesterday. A crowd of children, with hands joined, danced in a ring, while a man stood in the center and sang a German holiday song. At the end of each verse he would do something and each one in the circle had to imitate him.

With the children, and apparently enjoying himself as much as they, was Henry Brueckmann, 80 years old. He made faces, clapped his hands, pulled his neighbor's hair and did everything suggested by the leader, until the latter turned a somersault. The children all went over in a hurry, and then besieged "grandpa" to turn one. And Grandpa Breuckmann, 80 years old, did turn a somersault -- a good one, too -- much to the delight of the children. There were 140 at this picnic.

The Swedish Methodist church Sunday school, 1664 Madison street, headed by O. J. Lundberg, pastor, and the Swedish mission at Fortieth and Genessee streets, held a big basket dinner in the east end of Budd park. About 150 enjoyed themselves.

Not far from them the Swedish Baptist church Sunday school, 416 West Fourteenth street, with Rev. P. Schwartz and a delegation from a Swedish church in Kansas City, Kas., headed by Rev. Carl Sugrstrom, was holding forth about 300 strong.

There were many family and neighborhood picnics in the park.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

June 20, 1909



Old-Time Czar of Ninth Ward, Who
Helped Make Political His-
tory in Kansas City,
Is Dead.
The Late Tom Davis, Ninth Ward Political Boss.

"Big Tom" Davis, for more than twenty years proprietor of the "Lucky Number" saloon, 1711 Grand avenue, and Democratic boss of the Ninth ward, died of liver complaint at his home, 517 East Seventeenth street, at 4:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon.

With the passing of "Andy" Foley of the Second ward, twelve years ago, the number of Kansas City's old-time Democratic ward bosses was limited to two, and now there are none worthy of the name left in the city. Davis's sway in the territory immediately surrounding his place, near Seventeenth and Grand avenue, was, however, just as strong at the time of his death as at any previous time, according to his admirers. Should he have bolted his party at any time in his career, they say, the Ninth ward would have become staunchly Republican.

Thomas Jefferson Davis was born in Alliance, O., fifty-five years ago. At 18 years of age he became a fireman on a locomotive and later an engineer. With Andrew Foley, now dead, former councilman from the Second ward, and Charles A. Millman, former member of the state legislature, he came to Kansas City about May 1, 1883. Millman alone survives.


"Davis made his debut in ward politics in 1892 in rather a unique manner," said Mr. Millman last night.

"It was the time Henry J. Latshaw was running for nomination against William Cowherd, Thomas Corrigan, now dead, backing the former and Bernard Corrigan, president of the Metropolitan Street Railway Company, pulling private wires for the latter.

"The Ninth ward was in the hands of William Abel, a druggist, one time alderman, and had been for years, and it was understood that Abel was going to throw all his influence to Latshaw. On the night before the primaries the Cowherd faction was desperate and a hurried consultation was called among the leaders.

"Finally a deputation, comprised of Frank Rozzelle, after city counselor under Cowherd, and George Hale, chief of the fire department, visited his saloon.

"You are the last hope we have," explained Rozzelle. 'We have come to ask you if you can't help us lick Latshaw in the Ninth.'

" 'I can carry the nomination either way,' replied Davis. 'Only give me a short talk with "Andy" Foley.'

"Nominations were made by 'mob primaries' then, and the crowd that could holler the loudest won viva voce, and there was no appeal provided by the rules after the decision was made.

"At the time for the primaries the next day, a dozen or more moving vans came to the convention loaded with Foley's followers in the North End and Davis's particular crowd from the Ninth ward. The instructions were 'Yell like the devil.' Cowherd owed his nomination as well as his subsequent election to Davis. Likewise the power of William Abel was permanently wrested from him, and Joe Shannon became the czar of the Democrats in the Ninth ward."

Stories of Davis's zeal in advertising his saloon display has character in a different light than those relating to his political moves. It is said that every farmer boy in Jackson county knew of the big saloonkeeper twenty years ago, even though they never tasted his wares.


One of his favorite pastimes was to purchase live rabbits, ground hogs, badgers and foxes from the farmer youths, and either put them on exhibition at his place or advertise a hunt and turn them loose in front of a pack of hounds on Grand avenue. For the latter amusement he invariably was arrested, but always paid his fine cheerfully and then seemingly forgot the incident.

Years ago when a former justice, now dead, grew tired of the single life he took his troubles to Tom Davis and was advised by "Tom" to have the vows proclaimed while standing with his bride on a table in the rear of his saloon. His idea in giving the judge this advice is not known, but his best friends say it was another advertising scheme brought to a successful conclusion by the overwhelming eloquence with which the saloonkeeper always presented his ideas.

Later when Davis learned that the bride had taken an aversion to the judge's long beard and mustache he sent for his client and advised him to have them cut and sold at auction at his saloon. This, too, was done, and a vast crowd witnessed the sale and shearing while ten bartenders hired for one day tried to take care of the enlivened trade.

Mr. Davis died after an illness of three months at his residence. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Emma Davis, four brothers and a sister, living in Ohio. He leaves an estate already converted for the most part into cash valued at about $30,000. No arrangements for the funeral have been made.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

May 18, 1909



Animals, Fascinated by Flames, Re-
fuse to Escape -- Two Hundred
Horses, Released From Adjoin-
ing Stable, At Large.

More than 100 mules were burned to death in Guyton & Herrington's stables at Seventeenth and Genessee streets last night. Fascinated by the flames, they made no effort to save themselves, but slowly roasted to death, while hundreds of men stood outside shouting to scare the mules away from their death. The building was completely destroyed.

William L. Orvis, salesman for the firm, said there were 300 in the stable. The number of incinerated animals may reach 150.

Sam and Laurence Crane, who live at 2 Kansas avenue, Kansas City, Kas., were the first to see the flames, which had already gained considerable headway inside the locked building. They began trying to lead the already terrified mules out of the fire.

Companies were hurried from Nos. 1, 7, 9, 15 and 16 stations were sent. The Crane boys were inside the building when the first stream of water hit the windows. One of the sashes was knocked off and fell upon the head of Sam Crane, knocking him unconscious. He was dragged out of the flames by his brother and later revived.

Other men rushed into the furnace-like heat and strove to make the mules run out, but the blinded beasts huddled together. Volunteer horse saves raided the barn of Cottingham Bros., next door, and released more than 200 animals, which scattered in every direction. At midnight only sixty-nine had been recovered. A platoon of eight horses rushed up the viaduct of the Twelfth street trolley line and stampeded Twelfth street to Grand avenue, where they turned left and were lost in the North End.

Cottingham's barn next door was not damaged. Two small stables used by Guyton & Herrington, across the alley on Seventeenth and Wyoming streets, were saved.

A watchman was supposed to sleep in the building. What became of him is not known.

The value of the stable, which was of brick, is estimated at $20,000. The mules were worth from $200 to $250 apiece. The building was the property of the stock yards company and was insured. Both Guyton and Herrington were out of town when the fire occurred. They will continue business in the stables on Wyoming street.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

May 4, 1909


101 Ranch Exhibit Witnessed by
Large Crowds.

After a big street parade yesterday morning, Miller Brothers' 101 Ranch Wild West show opened the season at Seventeenth street and Indiana avenue to full capacity, afternoon and night.

From the opening parade, a grand ensemble of participants in the show, to the last number, a reproduction of the massacre of Pat Hennessy and family by the Indians in 1874, each display is interesting. In reproducing the massacre of the Hennesy family the Miller brothers have secured Chief Bull Bear, said to be the identical Indian who led the others in the massacre. W. H. Malaley, the same United States marshal who led the posse and captured the Indians, has charge of the capturing party now. The reproduction is said to be true to life.

In the stage coach robbery, reproduced at this show, several horses are supposed to be shot. They drop to the ground and remain there as if dead. One, whose leg was "shot," gets up after its wound has been bound and limps away, while its cowboy rider walks, fanning his favorite steed.

The marvelous manner in which cowboys handle the "rope" attracts much attention. One lariat thrower, after catching horse and rider in every conceivable place, catches the horse by the tail while the animal is on the dead run. The lassoing of wild steers, throwing steers by the horns, riding bucking bronchos and steers and the daring riding of the Russian Cossacks are other interesting features on the programme. Following the riding of the Cossacks the cowboys go them one better by doing everything they do and then some.

With this show is the largest number of Indians ever allowed by the government to leave the reservation with one organization. They give a dance at each performance, but even the management does not know which it is to be. The weather, environment and the mood of the once savage governs the dances. They have in their weird repertoire the ghost, snake, sun, squaw, coon, antelope, wolf, buffalo and elk dances. There are seventeen separate and distinct displays on the programme and among these are an Indian maiden who does some crack shooting, races between cowboys and cowgirls, dances on horseback and trick riding by both men and women.

At the close there is the usual concert at which there is a genuine negro minstrel show, some fancy club swinging and acrobatic work. As a concert finale, a trainer enters the cage of a ferocious lion which has already killed three men.

There will be two performances of the Wild West show today, at 2 p. m. and 8 p. m.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 26, 1909


Location of Memorial to Policemen
and Firemen Decided Tomorrow.

The police and park boards and Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., will meet at Fifteenth and Paseo tomorrow morning for the purpose of considering a suggestion, made yesterday by Fred S. Doggett of the park board, that the proposed policemen and firemen's monument be erected in the Paseo, between Seventeenth and Eighteenth streets.

The mayor waited on the park board yesterday, formally informing them of a resolution adopted by the council favoring the monument to the memory of firemen and policemen who die in the discharge of duty. The board added its approval to the movement, and volunteered its co-operation.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

September 26, 1908



Powder From First Bullet Sets Fire
to Her Clothes and After Extin-
guishing Blaze Shoots a
Second Time.

"I wanted to kiss you all at the table good-by, and I knew I couldn't, for you would mistrust something," wrote Mrs. Mary Hulse of 3839 Dickson street to her husband and children yesterday afternoon just before she shot herself twice in the left breast with a revolver, barely two hours after dinner time, when all the members of the family ate what was probably their last meal together. Despondency over continued ill health led to the act, and the doctors hold out no hope for her recovery. Both bullets penetrated the left lung.

Edna, the 15-year-old daughter of the woman, was in the back yard when she heard the first shot fired. She thought it was a door slamming in one of the upstairs bedrooms, but when she went in to ascertain she heard her mother groaning in her room, and as she ran up the stairway the woman cried out: "I am dying; send to the store for Annie!"


As she spoke she lay on the bed with the revolver beside her, trying to put out the fire which the front part of her dress had caught from the flashing powder. The terror-stricken girl did not think to snatch the smoking revolver from the bed, but ran to the store of I. E. Early, a block or so away on East Fifteenth street, where her eldest sister, who is 17 years of age, is employed. Before the two girls got back neighbors heard a second shot, and when the daughters reached their mother's room she lay bleeding and in a dying condition on the bed. The husband, who works in a brickyard at Askew and Seventeenth streets, and Drs. A. R. Greelee and W. L. Campbell were summoned and everything possible was done, but there is little doubt but that the wounds will prove fatal.


In an envelope sealed and addressed to her husband she wrote her farewell to him and her children. Even after she had sealed it she wrote expressions of affectionate leave taking. On the outside she wrote:

"My Dear Jim and My Dear Children: -- I have to leave you. I can not stand my suffering any longer. Hope you can keep the children together. I know you will if it is so you can, and I do hope you can get steady work for our dear children's sake. My sickness is too much; I can't stand it any longer. See about the insurance.

"Jim, my darling, you have done all that any one could do for me, and I thank Dr. Lowery and Dr. Doyle for their kindness. I wanted to kiss you all at the table good-by, but I knew you would mistrust something. I want you all to forgive me. Annie and Edna, be good girls and be good to little Ruth and Albert. Mind your father. Good-by to all.


Mrs. Hulse is 32 years old, and her husband said yesterday that she had been in ill health for ten years. There are two other smaller children, Albert and Ruth, aged 12 and 9. The family moved to Kansas City from Ottawa, Kas., three years ago.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

September 22, 1908


"Taxpayer" Says a Crowd of Toughs
Keep People Away From Parks.

A property owner who is afraid of "the gang," in a letter signed "Taxpayer," told the park board in a letter yesterday that an awfully bad crowd of toughs hang around two saloons at Seventeenth street and West Prospect. The "taxpayer" said the operations of this gang keep people out of the park out there because the gang invariably goes to the park to "fight it out" when there is trouble in the saloons.

"A doctor accompanies the gang when it goes in the park to fight," says the "taxpayer," "presumably for emergencies." The board will investigate the complaint. The park board had a saloon closed at Seventeenth and Holly streets because it was too near a park.

Labels: , , , ,

August 12, 1908


Mrs. G. W. Dorsey Is Ill Because Son
Has Run Away.

A broken-hearted mother is waiting the return of her 13-year-old son who disappeared from the home Friday night after attending the fireworks display at Pain's show with his father. While watching the fireworks Fred Dorsey, son of G. W. Dorsey, 4815 East Seventeenth street, met Frank French, 15 years old, and the two boys left the grounds together. Frank French returned home Sunday morning, but left again that night. He refused to tell where he had been, but denied that Fred had gone away with him.

Fred Dorsey started to run away once before. Last summer he left one afternoon, but when it began to grow dark he changed his mind and succeeded in reaching home before bedtime. He received a good spanking for that, and his father stated last night he believed that the boy would be afraid to return home if he had run off for fear of receiving more severe chastisement. His father said he would forgive the boy if he would only come back, as the boy's mother is ill from worrying about him.

Labels: , , ,

March 1, 1908


Leaves on Shade Tree Also Indicate
Approach of Spring.

Occasional frosts are keeping fruit trees back, but flowering bushes are in peril. Most roses are already budding, and along the lines of the stret cars shade trees are throwing out their leaves. One, at Seventeenth and Troost, has leaves measuring an inch across. Horticulturists say that while the flowers are almost certain to be destroyed by frosts sure to come, fruit trees may not be advanced far enough to get where the frost can reach them.

Labels: , , , ,

January 6, 1908


Riot Call Follows Wedding at the
Progressive Club.

When Mrs. Lena Gladstone and Julius Varshavsky set last night as the date for their marriage, they thought that none of their friends knew anything about it. But somewhere and somehow the secret had leaked out and friends of both people were waiting for the time to come so that they might have a charivari party and, perchance, some refreshments. Mrs. Gladstone lived at 221 East Nineteenth street and most of the party of rice throwers thought that the wedding would surely take place at the home of the bride. Consequently at 7 o'clock last night Nineteenth street was crowded with more than 500 noise-making individuals. The cars on Nineteenth street were lined up for more than a block away because the mob in front of the McClure flats refused to get out of the streets.

The car crews sent in a riot call to the police in order that the crowd might be dispersed.

After the cars had passed the mob began to surge back into the street and to show signs of violence. They insisted that they get a treat of some sort. Charles Gidinsky, a druggist at Nineteenth street and Grand avenue, scattered twenty pounds of candy in their midst.

Meanwhile 150 friends of the couple had found out that the wedding was taking place in the Young Men's Progressive Club rooms at Seventeenth and Locust streets, and rushed to that building. The groom walked out upon the porch to make a speech. He was greeted by a storm of rice and old shoes and his voice was drowned by the noise of horns. He hastily ran back indoors and telephoned the police. This time the police were in earnest and soon broke up the charivary party.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

September 1, 1907


Bing -- Aerial Flight for Alderman
Woolf and Frank Peck.

Alderman Woolf and former Alderman Frank Peck, seated in a motor car, were inspecting the streets in the vicinity of the alderman's laundry yesterday afternoon at Seventeenth street and Belleview avenue, when they ran afoul of a wagon loaded with coal slack. There was an aldermanic shakeup and a cloud of coal dust, each of which took several minutes to settle. The chauffeur reported "no damage."

Not so with Alderman Woolf. He had been watching that coal dust. Much of it had filtered through the open laundry windows, and as a result a part of the afternoon's wash had to go back to the tub.

Labels: , , ,

July 17, 1907


Man With Artificial Limb Has
Trouble in Pool.

A man with a new cork leg fell into the hands of police last night, because he thoughtlessly started to wade a pool of water in the rear of a saloon at Seventeenth street and Belleview avenue. Though he still used two crutches the handicap of having one of his feet persist in floating ahead of him was too much, and he went down on the bank of the pool, to be rescued later by Patrolman Madagan and the Walnut street police ambulance. In the man's pocket was a card with the name George Malo, and the papers to indicate that he had recently been a patient at St. Margaret's hospital of Kansas City, Kas. He ha been drinking and did not answer when asked if the name on the card was his. He was held for safekeeping.

Labels: , , ,

July 15, 1907


Man Who Stabbed Him Says It
Was in Self-Defense.

Guy Sykes, 1614 Grand avenue, who was stabbed in the groin at Seventeenth street and Grand avenue about 1 o'clock yesterday morning by a man unknown to him, is doing very well at the general hospital. Unless peritonitis should develop the would will not prove serious, the hospital physicians say. Sykes said that he met a man, had a few words with him and was stabbed.

Shortly after the trouble W. H. Thomas, of 1719 Grand avenue, was arrested by the police of the Walnut street station. At police headquarters yesterday he said: "I was standing on the corner talking to an old man. A man came up to me and asked some question or other. He was drunk and I paid no attention to him. Then he struck me. I had a knife in my hand at the time and struck him once. Then I ran. I don't know the man and never saw him before.

Labels: , , , ,

April 4, 1907


Body of Unknown Man Found at
Third and Main.

George Walls, 18 years old, 506 East Fifth street, was in the saloon of Mike Lasalla, 300 Main street, at 1 o'clock this morning with Joseph Rose, the bartender. Walls stepped outside as Rose was locking up the place. When he reached the sidewalk he heard a brick strike the pavement and break. At the same time, he noticed the body of a man lying just north of the saloon on Third street. He says he saw no one else. The dead man's forehead had been crushed. A pile of bricks was nearby on the street.

The two men reported their find at police headquarters and the body was taken to the emergency hospital. It is evidently that of a laborer, perhaps a miner, for a circular describing miners tools was found in a pocket. There were no means of identification. In the man's pockets, besides this circular, were a cheap watch and a card reading "Oklahoma saloon, southwest corner of Seventeenth and Walnut."

The body is that of a man of about 30 years. He wore a suit of dark clothing that had seen service, blue overalls, blue shirt, both new, and new underwear. He was 5 feet 11 inches in height, weight about 185 pounds.

The coroner took charge of the body.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory