Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

September 20, 1909


Four Attack Harry Jenkins After
Spitting on Sister's Dress.

Harry Jenkins, 17 years old, living at Sixteenth and College streets, was walking west on Fifteenth street near Prospect avenue last night with his two sisters, Minnie and Mamie, both younger than himself, when they passed a group of three or four ruffians, one of whom spat on the Sunday dress worn by one of the sisters.

"Do you take my sister for a spittoon?" asked the brother resentfully.

At this the toughs attacked young Jenkins, knocked him down and all of them kicked him viciously before the screams of his sisters attracted Officer Jesse Kemp, instructor in pistol practice on the police force, in front of whose house the attack was made.

The ruffians took to their heels when the policeman ran out. None of them was caught.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 14, 1909


Takes Wallet Containing $150 Cash
From A. M. Moore.

In a jostle in the rear vestibule of a street car at Eighth street and Forest avenue, at midnight last night, A. M. Moore of 701 West Sixteenth street was relieved of a wallet containing $150 in cash and a promissory note for $140.

He was returning to his home from Forest park. Mr. Moore believed the man who robbed him was tall and slim, with a light mustache.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 2, 1909


Skeleton Unearthed on the Old Judge
Shouse Farm.

While excavating for a basement in a house going up at 1611 Elmwood avenue at noon yesterday workmen unearthed the skeleton of a man. A few minutes after the original discovery Arthur Williams, a boy living at 1530 Elmwood, while prodding around in the basement for a stick found a rotten board of a box and several old-fashioned square nails.

Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky ordered the bones taken to the Carroll-Davidson undertaking establishment, from whence they probably will be taken to the potter's field for burial.

"The basement is located on the old William Shouse farm, near where a house belonging to him was burned by bushwhackers during the fore part of the civil war," said E. M. Bradley, and employe of the Metropolitan Street Railway Company, who was born near the place in 1852, and has resided at Sixteenth street and Kensington avenue ever since.

"Mr. Shouse used to be county judge of Jackson county," continued Mr. Bradley. "He was a Southern man, but very outspoken against the bushwhackers. One day they raided and burned his place. It is just possible that some dark deed of the bushwhackers was covered up."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 1, 1909


Lifeless Body Plunged Down Long
Building Shaft Eleven Stories.

Lew Reid, 12 years old, of 1819 North Eighth street, Kansas City, Kas., was crushed to death by an ascending elevator in the R. A. Long building yesterday at noon. A sudden jerk of the car threw the boy forward. As he grasped the iron grill work of the elevator enclosure the swiftly ascending car caught him. The lifeless body fell eleven stories to the basement.

The boy entered the car on the basement floor in company with Otto Nelson, a messenger boy. They were the only passengers. The car was operated by John Livingston, 23 years old, 1101 East Sixteenth street, who has been employed in that capacity in the Long building nearly two years.

According to the story told by the elevator operator, only one stop was made before the accident occurred, and that was at the main floor. At the tenth floor Livingston noticed that he was ahead of his schedule, and threw the lever over to slow up, thereby causing the jerk which threw the boy forward to his death.

Livingston said he endeavored to put the boy back, and also stopped his car as soon as possible. The Nelson boy corroborated the operator's story.

Hughes Bryant, agent for the building, notified all of the employes not to talk about the accident. He also explained the accident by saying the boy either fainted or fell forward against the door without being thrown by the jar of the elevator.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 10, 1909


T. J. Kennedy of Le Loup, Kas.,
Killed by Fall on the Asphalt.

Stepping from a moving car between Tenth and Eleventh street in Grand avenue, T. J. Kennedy, 55 years old, a farmer from Le Loup, Kas., fell with the back of his head on the asphalt yesterday afternoon about 5 o'clock and was killed. Kennedy had attempted to alight from the car with his back in the direction it was going.

The old man was on his way to surprise his only son, Rufus Kennedy, who lives at 109 East Sixteenth street, with a visit, the first one he had paid him since December 22, 1908. The son did not know of his intention, the first news of it coming with the announcement of his death.

Kennedy had lived in the vicinity of Le Loup for twenty-seven years, being the owner of a farm one and one-half miles east of that place. His wife is dead, but his daughter, Victoria, kept house for him. The son is a wagon driver for the City Ice Company.

Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky was notified and ordered the body taken to Carroll-Davidson's undertaking rooms. A post-mortem examination will be held this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

April 4, 1909


Abraham Vanderpool Confesses to 70,
While His Bride is 44.

Abraham Vanderpool, an old soldier of Liberty, Mo., who modestly gave his age as 70, took out a license yesterday to wed Mrs. Martha Ann Fannon of Kansas City. She confessed to 44. The marriage ceremony was performed last night at the home of Mrs. Khoves, daughter of the bride, 225 West Sixteenth street.

Labels: , , , ,

September 23, 1908


Ward Headley Convicted of Assault
on Two Girls.

Ward Headley, charged with assaulting Ethel Kelso, 7, and Eunice Swift, 5 years old, was found guilty last night in the criminal court and his punishment fixed at four years in the penitentiary. The jury was out two hours. Headley was an employe of a men's furnishing establishment and had been married but two weeks when he attacked the two little girls, July 4, at the home of O. J. Swift, 1815 Kansas avenue. The Kelso family lived nearby and the two little girls were together at the Swift home where Headley was a guest. Headley and his bride lived at 2921 East Sixteenth street.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 26, 1908


Little Harold Hunt Suffered Six
Days After Eating It.

After six days of unconsciousness from having eaten rat poison, Harold Hunt, 2 years of age, died at the Mercy hospital early yesterday morning. The day after the baby ate the poison it was taken to its home in Prior Creek, Ok., by its mother and received treatment from six physicians. Sunday the child seemed to grow much worse and its parents hurried it back to Kansas City, where it might receive expert medical attention. Mrs. J. J. Erwin, the mother, took the baby to the general hospital, where she was told that the child would receive better attention at the Mercy hospital, that being especially a hospital for children. The mother took the advice, but the child was beyond medical aid.

Mrs. Erwin had been visiting her mother at 216 West Sixteenth street, and it was at that place where Harold ate a biscuit which had been sprinkled with rat poison.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 20, 1908


Undesirable Element on Grand Ave-
nue Has Been Driven Out.

Fourteen tabooed rooming houses on Grand avenue between Twelfth and Sixteenth streets, have been closed by the police. Along with the women, of whom there were fifty or sixty, a great many loafers and crooks who lived in these rooming houses have left the district, and now the street is comparatively free from loitering women at night.

Labels: , , , ,

July 8, 1908


Dr. Robinson Says John Kollenborn
Shot at Him in Street.

A warrant charging assault with intent to kill was issued yesterday by Justice J. B. Shoemaker for John Kollenborn, 1614 Lister street, who is charged by Dr. J. H. Robinson, 4816 East Fifteenth street, with firing three shots at him from a pistol Monday night about 10 o'clock near the corner of Sixteenth and Lister streets. Kollenborn was not arrested. An attorney said he will be produced when needed. His preliminary hearing will probably be called before Justice Shoemaker this week.

According to the physician, he received a call about 10 o'clock Monday night to go to 1608 Lister and see a family named Simpson, but on arrival at the number found the house vacant. He was told that a family named Simpson lived several doors below and went there, but found he had not been summoned. He states that he was returning to his drug store when he passed Kollenborn on the street and after the man had gone about four feet beyond him, he turned and fired. The physician ran after the first shot and was not harmed.

Before Assistant Prosecuting Attorney William Buchholtz yesterday, Dr. Robinson stated that he knew of no reason why the alleged assault should have been made other than that several months ago he had been informed that Kollenborn accused him of being too friendly with Mrs. Kollenborn. This charge, he states, is groundless.

Kollenborn works as a switchman in the Rock Island yards at Armourdale, is 32 years old and has a wife and four children. Dr. Robinson is also married and has one child. Kollenborn did not return to his home Monday night after the shooting. He employed an attorney yesterday.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 10, 1908


James Reeve Is Still Seeking Treasure
Buried by His Wife.

The hiding place of Mrs. Emmaline Reeve's treasure still baffles the widowed husband, James Reeve. Yesterday at his brick cottage, 715 East Fourth street, he thought and thought again, over and over, trying to recall some hints his wife might have dropped in past years that would aid him now in recovering the $3,000 or thereabouts that she had been gradually putting away in gold and silver for fifteen years.

Four days of looking had tired Mr. Reeve, and yesterday he tried to think it out. The story having come out, the neighborhood took interest, and to the husband's surprise the common opinion was that the money had not been hidden in the garden or chicken yard, but somewhere in the brick dwelling. She was a woman, the neighbors reasoned, and her home was truly her fortress and there, where she could watch the spot that covered her treasure, Mrs. Reeve must have placed it. Mr. Reeve became converted to this opinion. A man whose duties take him far from things he loves might hide valuables in garden earth, but not a woman. This conclusion put Mr. Reeve more at ease,as well as Mrs. Reeve's sister, Mrs. Smythe, who had come on from Toronto. The thought of curious visitors scanning the premises seemed to have vanished and Mr. Reeve feels that the four walls of his home safely protect his all.

At midnight last night Mrs. Smythe, with the body of her sister, began the long trip back to Toronto. Finding that her sister had elected to live her life in surroundings that were scant of luxuries and of friends made Mrs. Smythe's stay in Kansas City unexpectedly sad. The men of their own family are rich wholesale merchants in Toronto, a cousin, J. Angus Shaw, is manager of the New York World, and other cousin, Charles Rykert, has for some years been a member of the Dominion Parliament. Mrs. Reeve's disappointments in the early loss of all her children, and then of their savings in the bank, Mrs. Smythe thinks, caused her to conceal from her family that she had become eccentric about money.

And the husband, eager to please his unhappy wife, let her have her way and no one of the friends in Canada knew much of their lives. Mr. Reeve, who is a stationary engineer with the gas company,will continue to live in his cottage. He had induced his wife to consent to move from that old home there in Little Italy and had purchased a lot at Sixteenth and Brighton avenue on which he expected to build her a new home after Easter.

Mrs. Reeve was ill with pneumonia and grip only eight days. Two days before her death she was told it would occur, but she could not believe it. She laughed as she promised her husband and sister Saturday that she would on Sunday tell them where her money was hidden, if they still thought she was going to die. She died before Sunday came.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 25, 1908


Body of James Jarrett Buried in Elm-
wood Cemetery.

A deaf mute funeral service was held at Stine's chapel yesterday afternoon. It was for James Jarrett, a shoemaker, who lived at 3615 Independence avenue with his wife, who is also a mute, and a son almost grown. Rev. Jensen of the German Lutheran church officiated, delivering his sermon audibly at the same time as with the sign language of deaf mutes. About forty of them attended and a number of other friends. A deaf mute congregation worships every other Sunday afternoon at a church at Sixteenth and Cherry streets. The body of Mr. Jarrett was buried in Elmwood cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 15, 1907


Woman Paid Her Lover's Policy and
He Left No Heirs.

Miss L. F. Laundry of Sixteenth and Main streets, thinks that because she was engaged for eleven years to marry W. H. Nall and loaned him $75 to pay on his $1,000 insurance policy in the Woodmen of the World, she is entitled to the insurance, now that Nall is dead. Nall's only relative, to whom the insurance would normally be paid, was his mother, Mrs. Navina Nall, who died February, 1907, a few days after he passed away. Mrs. Nall was 78 years old and it was on account of her helpless condition, it is said, that Nall kept postponing his marriage to Miss Laundry. "Miss Laundry says that Nall agreed to assign this insurance to her, but never did so. Nall was a mail carrier. The case is being tried in Judge J. H. Slover's division of the circuit court.

Labels: , , , ,

August 31, 1907


Minstrel Performer Has Become
Estranged From His Family.

Billy Williams, the old-time minstrel, is wandering lost somewhere in Kansas City, according to his wife, with the youngest of their seven children. She came on from Iola, Kas., last night, where until Wednesday Williams was assisting organizing an amateur show, looking for him. She called at No. 4 police station, and asked for assistance to locate the husband.

Williams had slept at 215 West Sixteenth street with Gus Manning Thursday night, but had become separated from Manning yesterday forenoon after going down town. At midnight Williams had not been found.

Labels: , ,

August 25, 1907



Woman's Mind Is Getting Stronger
and She Is Able to Identify Re-
latives From Photographs
Possessed by Uncle.

Mrs. Robert Morrissey, of Boston, Mass., the young woman who landed here about two weeks ago with two small children and entirely forgot her past life, is now at the home of her uncle S. H. Pierce, 3711 East Sixteenth street. When Mrs. Morrisey was turned over to the police and later quartered at the Helping Hand institute, she did not know how she got to Kansas City. When her uncle, Mr. Pierce, appeared she did not know him, but lately her mind has cleared considerably and she, little by little, is remembering.

She has received a letter from her husband whom she placed in a hospital at Lynn, Mass., some weeks ago. He was greatly surprised to learn of her predicament in Kansas City, as he believed her at their home in Boston. He was expecting her back to the hospital to nurse him as the institution was short of nurses and had asked her to come. She had left there to go home, store her household goods, see to the care of her children and return. That is the last thing she remembers up to a day last week when her uncle here caused her to speak the name of her brother, Gerald.

Mrs. Morrisey's trunk, which had been left by her at Cleveland, O., has been received here, Mr. Pierce having sent the check on there for it. When opened it was packed entirely with bed clothing, blankets, quilts, sheets, pillow slips, etc. Not a stitch of the clothing Mrs. Morrisey expected was in the trunk. She thinks that she made the mistake by taking a trunk she had intended to store when she left home in her absent state of mind.

Another thing which she cannot explain is the presence of some of the children's clothing and a few of her own in a mouse colored suitcase. She says she never possessed a suitcase of that description. That is one of the many mysteries which will have to be cleared up later..

Mr. Pierce has received a letter from Mrs. Morrisey's father, S. W. Leavitt of Mansfield, Mass. He was also surprised to know that his daughter was here. He told Mr. Pierce that he would leave for Kansas City in a short time to take her home. He cannot account for his daughter's queer freak of packing up and leaving home with her two small children -- one of them only a few months old -- unless it be that the illness of Mr. Morrisey had caused her to suffer a season of double consciousness from worry.

"She has greatly improved," said Mr. Pierce yesterday. "When I first saw her two weeks ago she did not know me and could recognize none of the family pictures I showed her. Now she can pick out her relatives from any pictures I show her. All of her past life has come back to her with the exception of the period embraced in the time she left home and landing here. She knows nothing of how she left, why she left, what route she took here or what occurred during her trip. The more we think of it, we are sure that the telegram about her being in Terre Haute, Ind., is a fake, for we cannot trace her anywheres near there. If that be true, the statement accredited to her there is also a fake."

Mrs. Pierce, who has been away from the city, is at home now, and the distressed niece and her children are receiving the best of attention. Mr. Leavitt, Mrs. Morrisey's father, in his letter to Mr. Pierce, states that his daughter had suffered from short spells of lapse of memory, but that none had been as serious as the recent one.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 25, 1907


Another Case Reported From Thir-
teenth and Washington Streets.

Residents of the neighborhood of Sixteenth and Washington streets are excited over a small worm that has bitten several living in that section. Yesterday Patrick O'Brien, 18 years old, 1619 Washington street, almost directly across the street from where O'Brien lives, was bitten Tuesday on the neck in almost identically the same place where the worm bit O'Brien.

This worm, which seems to show a partiality toward left sides of necks when it bites, is described as about an inch long, and is covered with long white fur. Several who passed opinion on the genus of the vermiform creature say that the results of its bite are similar to that of what is commonly called a fever worm, but in appearance this worm differs somewhat.

Labels: , ,

July 23, 1907


Frank Pemberton Held for Entering
Agnes Avenue Home.

Frank Pemberton, 16 years old, 1829 Agnes avenue, was arrested yesterday afternoon for entering the home of Mrs. W. C. Whichler, 2807 East Sixteenth street. Young Pemberton was found secreted beneath a bed in a room on the upper floor byMrs. Whichler, who went upstairs to investigate a noise suggestive of someone moving about in the upper rooms. When she found the boy, Mrs. Whichler ran out of the room, locked the door and informed the police at No. 6 station.

Labels: , , ,

July 19, 1907



Young Man Who Falls on Street
From Strychnine Poisoning Talks
of a Love Affair --
Will Recover.

A young man was seen walking unsteadily along in the vicinity of Twenty-second street and Dunham avenue shortly after 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Presently he stopped, drew rigid and fell in a convulsion. People who called the ambulance from the Walnut Street station thought possibly it was heat prostration, but Dr. George Dagg, ambulance surgeon, diagnosed the case as one of strychnine poisoning. The man was taken at once to the general hospital, where followed several other convulsions indicitive of strychnine poisoning.

It was learned there that the young man's name was Benjamin Rowland, formerly a bill clerk in the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railway. He lives with his widowed mother at 2045 North Valley street, Kansas City, Kas. It was stated at the hospital late last night that Rowland would recover.

During a conscious period at the hospital yesterday, Rowland intimated that a love affair had caused him to attempt his life.

While calling at the home of Miss Hettie Fredericks, 18 years old, Sixteenth street and the Paseo, last spring, young Rowland attempted suicide by drinking laudanum. He had gone there in the afternoon to make a call. No one was home but Miss Connie Fredericks, an older sister. Rowland said he was going to the bathroom for a drink. After being there some time he called Miss Connie to the door of the parlor and, holding a glass of dark liquid high in the air, said, "Good-bye to all. Here goes." It was later discovered that he had taken laudanum.

She called in the janitress and the latter telephoned for a doctor. After working with Rowland for an hour or more, he was left in good condition, and was later taken home.

A stranger called at his home of the widowed mother, 2045 North Valley street, Kansas City, Kas., soon after the occurrence yesterday and told Mrs. Rowland of the son's second attempt. She went at once to the emergency hospital in the city hall, as she heard he had been taken there. When his employer was called up at the C. M. & St. P. freight office, Fourteenth and Liberty streets, Mrs. Rowland learned for the first time that her son had quit his job there a week ago. What he had been doing meantime she did not know.

"If he lives through this," she said, "I intend to take steps to have him restrained. He has smoked cigarettes until he is a complete nervous wreck. He smokes them all day and then smokes them during the night. I have begged and pleaded with him about it, but it does no good. I think cigarettes are a greater curse to the younger generation of boys than whiskey and should be placed under restrictions just as stringent. I shall place him in some sanitarium if he lives through this attempt."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

May 19, 1907


Pearl Brown, of Armourdale, Injured
in a Runaway.

Pearl Brown, a 19-year-old Armourdale girl, was thrown from a buggy at 2022 Madison in a runaway last night at 10 o'clock. The team ran on, and at Twenty-fourth and Belleview killed another horse with the buggy pole. This hourse was the property of the Brandenmeyr Bros., grocers. The team was caught at Twenty-seventh and Belleview.

Dr. W. O. Gray, ambulance surgeon from the Walnut street police station, took Miss Brown to the general hospital. She was suffering from convulsions, but here injuries were convined to bruises on the limbs. Her home address is 918 South Twelfth street, Armourdale. At the hospital she said she ahd gone driving with Oliver Dooley of 8 West Sixteenth street and that he had been drinking and lost control of the team, then jumped and left her alone.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

May 14, 1907


In the Juvenile Court Yesterday
Judge McCune Lectured the
Father When He Objected
to the Decision.

Seven little boys, from 9 to 12 years of age, charged with being the "Sixteenth Street Gang," train hoppers and coal thieves, were before Judge McCune, of the juvenile court, yesterday afternoon.

"The boys sit on the rails of the Belt line tracks," said James H. Knapp, of the Knapp & Coumbe Construction Company, a witness, "and try to scare the engineer of the approaching trains. When the engine is within a few feet of them, they jump up like frogs and get off the track. If the engineer sticks his head out of the cab to talk to them, they make finger signs at him."

There were other witnesses against the boys -- three truancy officers and W. K. Miller, flagman for the Belt line at Sixteenth street. They said that the boys made a practice of stealing coal and hopping on trains.

"I pointed out to the boys," Miller told the court, "the place where a boy was killed last year jumping on a train. It wasn't ten feet from where these boys repeat the practice. But they only laughed at me.

"They sit up on the cars and kick the coal off. Then they get down, pick it up, and haul it away in little wagons. The gang has two wagons."

The seven boys before the court were; Willie Eft, 10 years old; Martin Eft, 9 years old, both of 1511 College avenue; Henning Broman, 12 years old, of 3113 East Sixteenth street; Harry Wright, 11 years old, of 3208 East Sixteenth street, Edward Blickhan, 11 years old, and Harris Blickhan, 10 years old, both of 1612 College avenue; Earl Frizzell, 12 years old, of 3208 East Sixteenth street.

All of the boys, with the exception of Earl Frizzell, admitted that they hopped on trains and stole coal. The Blickhan boys took the coal home and the other s sold it for 15 cents a wagon load, they said. Willie Eft and Henning Broman owned the two wagons.

Edward J. Blickhan, father of the Blickhan boys, appeared to defend his offspring, but he did more harm than good. He told the court that they had been sick with tonsillitis for two weeks and could not go to school. He denied all knowledge of their bringing coal home, but the court stated that he preferred to believe the boys' own statement that they had brought coal home and put it in the box by the kitchen stove. When the Blickhan boys were rounded up by the truancy officers last Thursday their hair hung over their shoulders and they were so ragged that Miller told the officers that he thought they were orphans. Yesterday afternoon they wore new suits and had their hair clipped short.

Judge McCune turned Earl Frizzell loose, as he had been with the "gang" only one day, ordered a home in the country found for Willie Eft and released the other boys with the understanding that they attend school and quit playing among the railway yards.

When Blickhan protested against the court holding his boys, Judge McCune said:

"You don't care if your boys get killed playing in the yards, so long as they fill your coal box. I don't want to hear another word from you. You have violated the law yourself."

Henry Eft, 13 years old, a brother of Willie and Martin, now has a reform school sentence hanging over him and is at work.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 27, 1907


Otherwise Little Ones Might Have
Been Burned.

A house set afire by children yesterday was saved by another child, Willie Walker, who lives at 213 West Eighteenth street. He was passing by Mrs. B. F. Stine's home at 12 West Sixteenth and saw window curtains afire. Mrs. Stine had gone shopping and left two small children at home who improved their opportunity to play with matches. But for the neighbor boy's discovery and prompt action the lives of the little innocent mischief makers might have been lost. As it was the fire was extinguished with only a trifling loss.

Labels: , , ,

March 10, 1907


Horse's Shoes Torn Off and Fleeing
Auto Damaged.

A motor car of the Limousine type tore two shoes from a horse's hoofs and threw him on his back beneath the feet of his plunging mate yesterday about 4 o'clock at Sixteenth and Harrison. The chauffeur would have stopped, but his three passengers yelled orders to go on, which he did at rapid speed.

The team belonged to the Depot Carriage and Baggage Company. In the carriage they drew was Thomas L. Nichol, of E. Stine & Son. They were crossing Sixteenth street on Harrison, going south. The motor car approaced from the east, coming down hill. The horse driver, hoping to avert a collision, wheeled his team sharp to the west. The car grasped the carriage, but struck the horses' leges. The headlight and a glass side of the car yielded with a crash, and the bleeding horse fell among the wreckage. The city license number on the disappearing machine was 1615, the driver says. There was nothing to do but send the team to the hospital and secure a new team to complete the carriage trip. Last night the carriage company said nothing had yet been done to discover the owner of the automobile.

Labels: , , , ,

January 11, 1907




Maggie Paul Says Clothes She is Alleged to Have Stolen Were
Given to Her -- Mrs. Moran, Medium, Tells a Different Story.

Miss Maggie Paul, the 18-year old daughter of J. J. Paul, saloonkeeper at Eighteenth and Charlotte streets, was arraigned before Justice Miller yesterday charged by Mrs. D. J. Moran, a fortune teller at 815 East Fifteenth street, with taking $91.75 worth of wearing apparel. She pleaded not guilty and her bond was fixed at $500. She was held over night in the matron's room at police headquarters and expects to give bond today.

Miss Paul said she had lived at Mrs. Moran's and played the piano during what she terms a "spirit fortune telling stunt supposed to be presided over by a defunct Indian chief, one 'White Coon.' " She also says that, had she married John Moran, the 24-year-old son of the fortune teller, she would have had none of her present troubles.

"She has been trying for a long time to get me to marry her son," said Miss Paul last night. "I went to a dance Christmas eve at 910 Campbell street with Mrs. Moran's daughter. When I got to thinking of that marrying business it was all so repulsive to me that I ran away and went to the house of a friend at 1214 East Eight street.

"When I am around where that woman is she casts a kind of spell over me and I can't but obey her every wish. It took all my courage to make up my mind to run away from it all. I got tired of playing for a lot of fake fortune telling business anyway. Often I have seen a person with money come to the seance and heard one of the Morans say: 'Trim that sucker. Don't let him get away. Make arrangements for a private seance for he's got real money.' It was all so false and shammy to one who knew and I didn't want to marry John Moran anyway."

Mrs. J. J. Paul, Maggie's mother, and George Brown, to whose house she went when she ran away from the 'White Coon' seances, went to police headquarters last night to see her daughter.

"This is all a trumped up charge which cannot be proved," said the mother. "That woman has had a hypnotic spell over my daughter for two years. We used to live in Midland court on East Sixteenth street and Mrs. Moran lived just across the street. Maggie got to going there and right then the trouble began. Maggie was made to believe that I was killing her with slow poison and she was afraid of me. Didn't I go to Mrs. Moran's house where she had Maggie locked up in the cellar and make her give her up?

"The girl fears that woman right now. You can see it. All this has been done because she ran away when engaged to John Moran. And I don't blame her for that or leaving those Indian 'White Coon' seances, either."

Miss Paul said that a sealskin cloak, valued at $50, which she is charged with taking, was stolen from the cloak room at the dance hall at 910 Campbell three weeks ago when Miss Moran was along. A skirt, valued in the complaint at $17, she was wearing yesterday. She said it cost $3.50 and was given to her by Mrs. Moran and would fit no one else in the family. In fact, she claims that all the missing clothing but the cloak was either given her previous to or at Christmas.

Miss Paul was arrested by Detective William Bates yesterday afternoon at the home of a friend at Eight street and Forest avenue. She said she had left the Brown home because she heard Mrs. Moran had found out where she was, and she was afraid she would "look at me that way again, and then I would have to go back and do anything asked -- perhaps marry John."

The girl who is afraid of the woman who gives seances controlled by the ancient Indian spirit, "White Coon," has blue eyes, blonde hair, and is petite and pretty.

Said Mrs. Moran, when asked about Miss Paul:

"On Christmas night she wore my sealskin coat to a Yoeman's ball at 910 Campbell street. She came home without the coat, and said it had been stolen. New Year's night she put on $42.25 worth of our silk clothes, jewelry and a hat and went to another Yeoman's ball with Mamie. That time she got lost from Mamie and we just found her today living at 1214 East Eighth street with the same Mrs. Brown who had her arrested the time we paid her fine. We've heard that the sealskin jacket was thrown from the window to someone and wasn't stolen. We stuck to her, even when her mother was going to have us arrested for harboring her. We thought her parents were hard on her. They have a divorce case on trial tomorrow."

"Did Miss Paul assist in your seances?"

"Oh, she sat in them," explained Mrs. Moran's husband, "but she didn't help earn any of the clothes."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory