Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 8, 1910


Twenty-Five Thousand Dollar Tract
Presented to School Board.

Property valued at $25,000 at the northwest corner of Twenty-Fifth and Holmes streets has been presented by Louis George, a retired trunk manufacturer, to the board of education. The one stipulation is that the land, consisting of 175 x 130 feet, be made the site of a branch public library.

Mr. George made the gift to conform with the wishes of his wife, now dead. The deeds conveying the property to the school board have been executed. The board will meet next Tuesday to accept the gift and express its thanks to the donor. Mr. George will continue to live on the south forty-five feet of the tract.

Labels: , , ,

July 10, 1909


Current Too Swift for Charles
Knapp, a Sheffield Laborer.

While swimming in the Blue river yesterday afternoon below the Kansas City Southern bridge, Charles Knapp, a laborer for the Kansas City Bolt and Nut Company, was drowned. The body was quickly recovered.

Knapp was accompanied by E. J. Slaughter of 3006 East Twenty-fifth street, who was barely able to swim, and could render no assistance to the drowning man. Knapp climbed on a girder and dived out as far as possible. The current was swifter than he calculated and after a few struggles to get to the bridge he gave up and sank.

Slaughter telephoned the Sheffield police station but help arrived too late. The body was taken to Blackman & Carson's undertaking rooms in Shefffield by Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky. Knapp's mother, Mrs. William Brown, lives near St. Clair on the Independence line.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 3, 1909


Orear-Leslie Company Will Erect One
on Baltimore Avenue.

The Orear-Leslie Investment Company yesterday took out a building permit to erect a ten-story office building at 1010 Baltimore avenue. It is to be built of steel-re-enforced with concrete and brick. The building is to cost $150,000 and to be completed by December 1, 1909.

A new ice plant is to be built by the Interstate Ice Company at 712-18 West Twenty-fifth street and is to be constructed of brick and stone. Connected with the ice plant will be the stables, and the two will be combined in one building to be erected. A permit was taken out yesterday to erect the building. The contract price was given as $15,000.

Labels: , ,

March 2, 1909



Bodies of A. H. Tuttle, Civil War
Veteran, and His Wife, Discovered
in Residence -- Grate and
Heater Burning.

Last night, when Captain Jack Burns of fire company No. 18 entered the house of A. H. Tuttle, 2617 East Twenty-fifth street, and found an aged man and his wife both dead, Tuttle lying on his side on the floor and his wife sitting in a chair in the front room of the house. A gas grate and an overhead gas heater in the room were burning.

The first intimation of a tragedy was discovered by A. M. Weed, a solicitor for the Wells-Fargo Express Company. Captain Tuttle, as he was familiarly called, has been an employe of the express company for the past twenty-five years. When he failed to appear at the depot yesterday morning, for the first time in years, it was thought he was ill. Mr. Weed called at the house about 2:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon and failing to get a response to repeated ringing of the door bell, walked around the house. He questioned a little girl playing in the yard as to whether Tuttle lived the4re, and if she had seen either of them that day. The girl replied that she had not seen either of them since Sunday morning. Weed found the milk on the back porch and the morning papers on the front porch.


Mr. Weed returned to the office and reported to H. B. Jeffereies, assistant agent, that he suspected something wrong. Mr. Jefferies visited the house at 6 o'clock and after investigating saw the blue flame of the gas heater, which is attached to the gas jet, through a side window. He went to the front porch and putting his hand on the large plate glass window found it to be hot. He called W. W. Hunt, who lives at 2619 East Twenty-fifth street, and after a consultation sent a boy to No. 18 fire station for a ladder. Captain Burns and one of his men responded and entered the house through an upstairs window.

"As soon as I opened the window I could smell the gas fumes and the still more horrible odor of decaying human flesh," said Captain Burns. "It was necessary to light matches to see in the ho use as most of the curtains were drawn. The heat was intense. Coming down the stairs the heat was more noticeable and gas fumes made breathing difficult. In the parlor, off the reception hall, we found the old couple; Captain Tuttle lying on the floor and Mrs. Tuttle sitting in her Morris chair in front of the burning grate, her head over on her breast as if in sleep."


Mr. Jefferies and Mr. Hunt went into the house and opened the doors and windows. Coroner's physician, Dr. Harry Czarlinsky, was called and declared that the death had occurred thirty-six hours earlier. He said that asphyxiation from inhaling carbon monoxide was the cause of death. Carbon monoxide is the fumes from imperfect combustion of natural gas, and is similar to that given off my burning anthracite coal.

Before noon Sunday morning Mrs. Tuttle went to a neighbor, Mrs. Jackson, at 2515 East Twenty-fifth street, and borrowed a cupful of sugar, saying she was going to make a custard pie. This was the last time she was seen alive. Other neighbors had seen the couple earlier in the day.

From the appearance of the house, those acquainted with Captain and Mrs. Tuttle declared that they had evidently just gotten up from the breakfast table. The breakfast dishes had been washed and were on the dining table, covered with a cloth. Captain Tuttle's razor, shaving brush, mug and strop were lying on the kitchen table.

W. L. Cowing, 2506 Montgall, said that Mr. and Mrs. Tuttle were to have gone with him to Shawnee Sunday afternoon to look over some land. "I saw them yesterday morning," said Mr. Cowing last night, "and they both declared they would go. When I came to the house in the afternoon I got no response to my ringing of the doorbell and concluded they had gone ahead of me."

Rev. R. P. Witherspoon, 1601 Belmot avenue, brother of Mrs. Tuttle, was called form the Gypsy Smith meeting and arrived at the house after 9 o'clock. He was shocked at the news. He said that he had never known a happier or more devoted couple.

"My sister and her husband have led an ideal life," he said, "and had it not been for neighbors and friends this thing might have gone unnoticed for days. They loved each other and everyone around them, and were loved by them in turn."


Captain Tuttle served in the Sixteenth Ohio regiment of infantry in the civil war. Shortly after the war he became a director in the Missouri penitentiary at Jefferson City, where he remained several years. He afterwards went to Warrensburg, Mo., and engaged in business. Twenty-five years ago he joined the messenger service of the Wells Fargo Express Company and remained with them until his death.

Promotions came one after another, until he became money deliverer and one of the most trusted employes of the company. His superiors and associates declare that his word was as good as a bond. It is said that the company has offered several times to retire him on a pension, but that he has steadily refused, saying that he must be around and doing something or he couldn't feel right. He drew $36 a month as pension from the government.

Three sons survive the couple. They are Lloyd Tuttle, a salesman for the Ferguson-McKinney Dry Goods Company in St. Louis; Charles P. Tuttle of Coalinga, Cal., and Harry Tuttle of St. Paul, Minn. Mr. Tuttle has a brother living in Creston, O., and Mrs. Tuttle has a sister, Mrs. T. J. Claggett, Marshall, Mo., and two brothers, Charles Witherspoon, Mansfield, Tex., and the Rev. R. P. Witherspoon of this city.

The bodies were taken to Carroll-Davidson's undertaking rooms on Grand avenue. News of the deaths has been telegraphed to the sons and the funeral arrangements will await their arrival in this city.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

September 19, 1908


Took Four Policemen to Arrest Two
Greeks Wanted in Chicago.

Nicholas Antonopolus and James Anton, Greeks, were arrested yesterday afternoon by Detectives Gent and Wilson and Patrolmen M. Sheehan and Peter Douglas and taken to the Southwest boulevard police station and locked up for investigation. The men are wanted in Chicago, where they are alleged to have embezzled various amounts from creditors. The largest debt is for $600. The police say they were in the grocery business in Chicago until a week ago, when they came to this city and engaged rooms at 1310 West Twenty-fifth street. Requisition papers have been applied for.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

September 8, 1908


Symptoms of Race Trouble Out on
East Eighteenth Street.

Fear of an attack by whites kept several hundred negroes living in the vicinity of Vine and Twenty-third streets awake until an early hour this morning. Rumors that the "Eighteenth street gang" was going to come with firearms, tar and ropes and make a second Springfield of the district, caused the negroes to arm themselves and stay up at night, watching on the doorsteps of their houses for the approach of the white mob.

Sunday night the undertaking rooms of A. T. Moore, a negro undertaker at 1820 East Eighteenth street, were burned down and the report was spread that the building had been fired by white men. On the same night a crowd of negroes gathered at Twenty-fifth and Vine streets and eleven officers from the Flora avenue police station were sent to disperse them. They went away quietly.

Yesterday Dave Epstien, a pawnbroker at 1418 East Eighteenth street, reported to the police that all the firearms he carried in stock had been sold to negroes. Other dealers in firearms also sold many weapons.

"We don't want to have another Springfield," said one of the negroes at late hour last night, "but we do intend to protect ourselves if the police will not protect us."

Meanwhile, in the headquarters of the redoubtable "Eighteenth street gang" all was peace. There were no preparations being made to attack negroes, so far as could be learned. The police attribute the scare to the malicious tale bearing of idle negroes.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

June 29, 1908


Last Night's the Heaviest of a Sea-
son of Heavy Rain.

Last night's heavy rain might be classed as a phenomenon. At 7 o'clock it began to rain in the district south of Twenty-fifth street and west of Euclid avenue. In some localities outside of that particular district there were light showers, but in that district the rain was more on the order of a cloudburst and lasted for an hour.

The heavy, dense clouds which hung over the south part of the city began to travel northward and, still in districts, the rain began to fall in torrents. Gradually the whole city was soaked in such a downpour of rain as had not been seen this year.

Many fresh air seekers and church-goers were caught in the rain without umbrellas or protection of any sort. Cars were crowded with persons who preferred to ride to the end of the line and back again rather than to face the storm.

In the South Side of the city there was nothing but rain, while in the downtown district large hailstones fell. An electrical storm accompanied the rain, but no damage was done by the lightning.

At midnight a second storm came up, this time directly from the north. That of the early part of the evening was from the south. The second storm was scarcely less severe than the first, except that it was not accompanied by hail nor as vivid display of lightning. From midnight until 2 o'clock this morning the rain continued, in incessant pour.

Labels: , ,

June 8, 1908


End Comes to Woman Who Existed
on Crackers and Water.

After having lived on "crackers and water and the power of God" for a week, Miss Kate Thuey, found in a precarious condition in her room at 722 Campbell street, Saturday afternoon, died at the general hospital yesterday afternoon at 1 o'clock. Miss Thuey was in a dying condition when taken into the hospital and she steadily grew worse. Dr. G. B. Thompson, coroner, pronounced her death due to starvation and kidney trouble. In her stomach there was found a quantity of undigested crackers and nothing more.

Miss Thuey has two sisters living in this city, Mrs. John Owens, 2601 Independence avenue, and Mrs. Lucy Mahoney of Twenty-fifth street and Prospect avenue. These sisters had lost trace of her some years ago. At that time she began to appear dissatisfied with her home life and would have nothing to do with her family. After she let home she kept in communication with her sisters and family for a few months only . Mrs. Owens said she had done everything to find out her sister's whereabouts but was unable to.

The first they heard of her for five years was the account of her demented condition in yesterday's Journal. Mrs. Owens told the coroner that at all times her sister and herself had been anxious to help Miss Thuey, but that she consistently refused to accept any aid. It was said that she is supposed to have about $3,000 in a bank in Kansas city, that sum being her share of her father's estate. This has not been ascertained as a fact; the abject state of poverty in which the woman was found by the police would not substantiate the theory.

The sisters of Miss Thuey put forward the theory that in her demented state the woman had become a miser and was hording away her meager earnings.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 17, 1908


Boys Found It Floating in O. K.
Creek -- Police to Investigate.

While playing on the banks of O. K. creek, near Twenty-fifth and Summit streets yesterday afternoon some boys saw a shoe box floating in the stream. They fished it out and opened it. When they found that the box contained a baby's body the boys ran home and reported the find.
The body was that of a boy, which evidently had lived two or three days, the coroner thinks. The coroner has asked the police to investigate.

Labels: , , ,

March 9, 1907





Incidentally She Scores the Fickleness
of Men -- "Beautiful Character
and Intellectuality Not Con-
sidered," She Declares.

"Beauty and physical charm in women are the only things that count with men," said Dr. Frances J. Henry in a lecture to women at the Benton Boulevard Baptist church, Twenty-fifth street and Benton boulevard yesterday afternoon. "Beautiful character and intellectuality are not considered by them when they go to select woman for their wife. I do not understand this fact, for how is a woman to keep her husband's love after she has become old and the ravages of time have made themselves known by deep and ugly wrinkles on the once beautiful face? But history will prove that what I have said is correct.

"Love is a great passion, but mother love is the greatest of them all. Such love should not be wasted upon poodles and pussies as do some women. If they are not physically able to bear children these women, mostly rich ones, should adopt some of the many poor children who are suffering for the bare necessities of life. It would be far better for these women to take these children into their families and bestow upon them the caresses and love which they lavish upon their cats and dogs.

"This brings us to another point. A woman would have the right to say when she is willing to enter into the duties and cares of motherhood. The wife should always keep herself in a wholesome moral mental and physical condition, that her offspring may be of the same character. It is a sin to bring weak, sickly, idiotic or malformed children into this world.

"Honorable spinsterhood is a thousand times better than dishonorable wifehood. Marriage is an event in woman's life. It is too commonly looked upon as the chief end and the girls are too frequently taught this mistaken doctrine. Marriage should be deferred until the girl is mentally able to judiciously select her affinity. Too much credit cannot be given to women of Hetty Green's type. She prevailed upon her daughter to wait until she had become of mature age before she was married. Miss Green must have had a great many offers of marriage, and our sex should have the utmost respect for her in that she waited until she was 37 years old before she took that important step in life.

"Because so many of the marriages today are contracted before the parties are capable judges for themselves, the divorce courts are full to overflowing. There are twenty marriages today where there should be but one. Boys and girls of 22 or 24 years of age should not think of marrying. They are entirely too young and in most cases they realize that fact when it is too late."

Dr. Henry is a practicing physician in Kansas City. She is a graduate of the medical department of the University of Michigan.

Labels: , , , , ,

February 3, 1908


Neighbors Found the Body of George
Ordway, a Suicide.

Completely frozen, the body of George Ordway was found in a chair in a sitting posture in his home, 2308 Main street, yesterday morning. Some of his neighbors had called to see him, knowing that he had been in ill health and was somewhat desopndent over the death fo his wife which occurred three weeks ago.

Upon entering the room they found the body and a bottle, which had contained laudanum, upon a table at its side. The police found a note Ordway had left for the coroner, containing several names of persons whom he desired to be notified of his death.

Ordway was 75 years old and had been employed as a laborer on a rock crusher at Twenty-fifth street and Grand avenue. He has no relatives in the city. The coroner said that he had probably been dead for twenty-four hours as it would have taken the body that long to have become completely frozen.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 12, 1908


South Side Citizens Meet and Draw
Up Fighting Resolutions.

About forty men, residents in the vicinity of Gillham road, met at the Church of United Brethren, Fourtieth and Harrison streets, last night to protest against the action of the park board in ordering an appropriation of part of that boulevard for the proposed speedway. The meeting was called by Benjaman H. Berkshire, 4018 Harrison street, and J. V. Kendall, Twenty-fifth street and Troost avenue.

A motion was made that those present should resort to every effort to prevent what they thought was the ruin of their roadway, and that every man pledge himself to assist in a financial way if it became necessary for them to resort to the courts. When this motion was put, F. J. Chase, 4100 McGee street, who was chairman of the meeting, asked all those who were in favor of it, to stand. Only four remained seated. The motion was announced, carried and those who voted for it put their signatures to the resolution. This resolution was adopted:

Whereas, The Kansas City park board has assumed to set apart a certain
portion of Gillham road for a speedway in defiance of the purposes for which
that roadway was condemned and paid for, and

Whereas, the use of any portion of this parkway for a speedway will be
detrimental to the interests of those whop were assessed for payment of said
parkway, making it dangerous to life and limb and turning that which was
intended for quite enjoyment of the citizens, over to an entirely different
purpose, to the great discomfort of those living in that vicinity, and to the
depreciation of property values,

Therefore be it
Resolved, That we property owners and residents in the district bounded by
Thirty-ninth street on the north, Brush creek on the south, Troost avenue on the
east and Main street on the west, in mass meeting assembled, do respectfully
protest against the appropriation of any portion of Gillham road parkway for
purposes of speedway or for any other use foreign to the purposes for which the
said roadway was condemned, and ask that your board reconsider your recent
action, and withdraw your consent to such use of any portion of said

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

December 22, 1907


Willie Bear Is Also Charged With
Shooting at Him.

Willie Bear, 15 years old, of Twenty-fifth street and Brooklyn avenue, is in a cell at the detention home awaiting trial Monday in the children's court on the charge of tying John Wiess of 3409 Garfield avenue, a playmate, to a post and shooting at him with a target rifle.

Willie admits tying John up, but says he didn't try to shoot him. They boys were playing "Teddy, or How Can a Bob Cat Escape?"

Labels: , , , , ,

August 17, 1907


The Improbable Manner in Which
Wells Says He Was Hurt.

Henry Wells, a laborer, residing at Twenty-fifth and Oak streets, was taken to the emergency hospital last night by a friend suffering from a broken nose. When asked how he received his injury Wells explained:

"As I come out of a saloon a man looked at me."

As far as Wells could recall the man did not strike him and he had not engaged in a row of any kind. A strange man simply looked at him, and he rushed off for treatment at the emergency hospital. Wells went home after receiving surgical attention.

Labels: , , , ,

May 26, 1907


Canvasser Shoots Himself and Dies at
the General Hospital.

Raymond M. Phillips, a canvasser, called upon his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Phillips, at 512 West Twenty-fifth street, about 6 o'clock last evening. They had been separated about two years, but Reynolds was in the habit of calling to see his son, 15 years old. He set down two grips which he was carrying and greeted the boy pleasantly. In a few minutes Mrs. Reynolds stepped into the room.

"I am going to Colorado, 'Bess'," he said. "I came to ask you once more and for the last time, will you live with me again?"

"No," said the wife firmly. "I cannot. You know why."

Without further ado Reynolds drew a revolver and placing the muzzle to the butt of his right ear, fired one shot. He fell unconscious to the floor. A physician was summoned. The ambulance from No. 4 station arrived soon after, accompanied by a surgeon, and Reynolds was removed to the general hospital, where he died at midnight.

Labels: , ,

March 22, 1907


Jury Gives Highwayman Six Years
-- Pal Pleads Guilty, Gets Five.

Mike Savage says he is an Irishman, but he doesn't make a noise like one. He was in the criminal court yesterday and was given a sentence by a jury of six years for highway robbery. It was charged that he, with the assistance of a man named Sam Hight, held up E. E. Ellis, a brother of the congressman, near Twenty-fifth and Troost on the evening of January 5 and got $3.50 from him.

A part of the testimony for the prosecution was to the effect that the man who held up Mr. Ellishad an unusual impediment in his speech. Mr. Ellis testified that the man who had the revolver exclaimed: "Det up you han's' det 'em up, det 'em up."

During the trial Savage was not permitted by his lawyer to go on the witness stand. Throughout the trial he was mute. But he gave himself away as he left the court room after the verdict was in.

"I dant a new drial," he exclaimed, shaking his fist at Judge Slover. "I dain't doing to be done dis way in dis court."

It was to laugh, and all of the court officials, even Judge Slover, laughed.

Savages wife had made a scene in the court room only an hour or so before and was forcibly put out by the deputies. Hight, Savage's accomplice, pleaded guilty and took a sentence of five years -- one year less than Savage got by standing trial.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory