A. L. Chapman was born
in Washington County,
Pennsylvania, June 4, 1825. His father, a
large land-owner and wool-grower, was a pioneer Pennsylvanian, tracing
his descent from the Chapmans and Loudons of Ireland, while his mother
was a daughter of the immortal Thomas
Campbell, and a sister of
Alexander Campbell, founder of the Christian Church.
The subject of this sketch received his early
education in a select school at home, but in 1844 entered Bethany
College, graduating in 1849, having spent a year in the study of
Hebrew in addition to the regular classical course. He then made
a tour of the Southern States, and in 1851 was made president of the
Rockford Masonic college in Alabama, where he remained two years,
resigning in 1853 to enter a medical school in Charleston, S. C.
Returning home in company with his brother, Campbell Chapman, also a
physician, he came to Missouri, locating in St. Louis, where he
completed his medical studies. He practiced for ten years in
Clay County, and in 1868 he removed to Kansas City, where he has ever
since been. In 1882 he retired from active practice, and
commenced the publication of the New Medical Era and Sanitarian.
His vigorous pen made it famous the world over, but ill health
compelled its cessation. Dr. Chapman then journeyed to Europe,
and put himself under the care of the late Rudolph
Dr. Chapman was married to Miss
Frances Mosby while practicing in Clay
County and they have reared a family of four boys.