Frederick C. Gunn was born in Atchison, Kansas in
1965. His parents came of old New England stock, and his father,
Maj. O. B. Gunn, was active in the early railroad development of the
West. The family removed to this city when Mr. Gunn was fourteen
years of age, and his interrupted studies in the public schools of
Atchison Mr. Gunn then took up in the public schools here. After
finishing at the high school, he went to the Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute at Troy, N. Y., and graduated in 1873. He worked in
New York for over two years, and then returned to Kansas City, and
took up his practice of architecture. He organized the firm of
Gunn & Curtiss. The partnership existed for ten years, after
which time Mr. Gunn practiced alone. He has designed several of
the finer buildings in this city and a countless number of public
buildings throughout the West, notably the court houses at Lawrence,
Emporia, and Salina, Kas.
Mr. Gunn is a Democrat, and represented that
party in the council from the Third Ward from 1892 to 1894.
During his term of office he was chairman of the Finance and Park
Under President Cleveland's administration he
was appointed local architect for the new Post Office, a position he
held for six years, being relieved during the McKinley administration.
Mr. Gunn is a member of the Masonic order,
the University Club, and the Kansas City Chapter of the American
Institute of Architects.
He was married in 1892 to Miss Winifred Burt,