Frank Maynard Howe was born in Arlington, Mass., July
20, 1849. He was educated in the public schools and in Cotting
Academy, and afterwards took a special course in architecture at the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology in Boston. In 1868 he entered the office
of Ware & Van Brunt, architects, in Boston, and upon the
retirement of W. R Ware in 1832, became a partner in the concern under
the name of Van Brunt & Howe, which partnership still
exists. Prior to this he spent some time in travel and study
abroad, and in 1880 formed a partnership with the late Arthur H. Dodd,
of Boston, but in 1882 this was dissolved and that of Van Brunt &
Howe formed. In 1885 the firm was established in Kansas City.
The present firm enjoys a large practice in
all parts of the country, and has always retained its eastern office
in Boston. They were on the Commission of Architects at the
World's Columbian Exposition in 1893, and enjoy a similar honor on the
same commission at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. In their
practice in Kansas City they have built many of the largest and most
important buildings here.
Mr. Howe was married in 1871 to Miss Mary E.
Wyman, of Arlington, and they have two daughters, Katherine and
Dorothy. He belongs to the Papyrus Club, of Boston, the Kansas
City Club, the Commercial Club, is president of the Knife and Fork
Club, president of the Symphony Orchestra, and is a thirty-second
degree Mason, and Shriner.