John W. McKecknie was born in Clarksville, Ohio,
October 3, 1862. He remained in his birthplace until he had
reached the age of eighteen years. His education had its
beginning in the public schools of Clarksville, and later he attended
Wilmington College at Wilmington, O. He then took a classical
course at Princeton, and graduated in 1886. Afterwards he went
to the Columbia School of Mines in New York city, taking the
architectural course, and graduated after two years of study.
Mr. McKecknie remained in New York city after his graduation, and was
employed in various architects' offices for five years. He then
opened an office of his own, and did the business of general
architecture for three years. Meanwhile he was studying painting
at art schools and various galleries with an eye to adopting that as a
profession, but finally gave it up to resume architecture.
Mr. McKecknie came to this city in 1898, and
went into the architectural business immediately, at which he has been
very successful. He is a member of the Commercial Club, the
University Club, the Kansas City Art Club, the local chapter of the
American Institute of Architects, and the Kansas City Architectural
Mr. McKecknie is married, having wedded Miss
Lucille Jordan, of New York city, in 1899. They have one child.