Walter Gallatin Mellier was born in St. Louis January
12, 1859. His father, A. A. Mellier, was one of the early
merchants of St. Louis, and shipped goods to Westport Landing before
Kansas City had an existence. Mr. Mellier prepared for college
at Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass., and finished his education at
Princeton. In 1879 he removed to Kansas City, where he engaged
in the cattle industry with his father-in-law, Major Seth Mabry, but
finding the real estate business more congenial concentrated all his
energy and interest in Kansas City property.
The following additions have been laid out by
Mr. Mellier: Llewellyn Park, 127 acres, 1886; Kenwood &
Kenwood Annex, 60 acres, 1886; Murray Hill, 10 acres, 1886; Mellier
Place, 66 acres, 1887; Dickenson Place, 10 acres, 1887; Mellier Place
Annex, 22 acres, 1889; Bonfils Place, 10 acres, 1887; Bonfils Heights,
10 acres, 1897, Mellier Park, 10 acres, 1900; Corbin Place, 27 acres,
1902, etc., etc.
Mr. Mellier projected and built the Mellier
Place electric line to develop the southwestern part of the city, and
has accomplished the promotion of many great establishments in the
Mr. Mellier was the first president of the
Princeton Alumni Association of the west, and has also been connected
in an official capacity with the Kansas City Club, Sons of the
Revolution, and the University Club.